help with an electrical probelm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbuck423

Reaction score
its on a family friends truck. the truck is a 1998 gmc seirra sl c1500 4.3/auto rcsb(base truck no power windows/locks...) 170K miles the truck is a one owner truck and is 100% stock aside from tires, and filters....

the problem started about 2 years ago at 135K miles, everything on the truck worked great then one day he turn the key off and removed it and the radio and ac blower motor stayed on. a few days later the blower stopped working however now the abs light turns on randomly and every time the abs light comes on the ac blower controls work again, and the abs light goes out the blower controls stop working.

the truck is owned by a friend of the family who has zero mechanical knowledge so he first took it to a firestone he said they had four or five people go out to the truck and turn the key on and off and look lost, never actually attempt any diagnoses anything, they didn't even pull it into a bay before they came back and said it should probably be taken to a dealership. he has taken the truck to 2 different gm dealerships, one kept it for 2 days and said they had no idea, the other also said they don't know what is causing the problem, and basically said they were willing to throw random parts and labor at it as long as someone was paying for all the work performed.

i haven't had a chance to look at it yet but i was going to be in town next week so i offered to take a look at it, i have no idea what could be causing the problem(i suck at electrical problems), i looked online and cant find a single person that has had the same problem, i'm thinking maybe the starter switch is mess up and not sending power the accessories when the key is off/removed, or maybe an electrical short... any ideas/advice