Help! Stripped distributer gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Emichaud

Reaction score
I was leaving a light and I put a bit of load off the light and my truck shut down, pulled my distributer and the gear was brutal, torn to bits, I’m just curious of what kinda damage this would cause, and how this can even happen. can the metal pieces ruin my oil pump, Cam gear, or is it likely toast. Want to know where to proceed next in preventing more damage after the replacement of the distributer
Thanks!

95 Tahoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only one way to know is pull the engine and find out what is broke.. The cam is probably bad as you said. Oil pan should come off and oil pump replaced.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAT ENGINE??? WHAT VEHICLE?

Distributor gear failure is common on Vortec distributors even with OEM distributor gears, and on any steel roller-cam engine with a non-Melonized or cheap imported distributor gear. There's a reason that a Genuine GM Melonized distributor gear costs almost as much as an entire import-junk distributor assembly.

The distributor gear "probably" wore down gradually, leaving metal dust as the debris. MAYBE this didn't damage much. Most folks replace the gear--or the entire distributor--and drive away. Almost no-one tears down the engine looking for grit embedded on the pistons, or trapped inside the hydraulic lifters, or scoring the oil pump or bearings.

The gear on the camshaft seems to survive the distributor gear wear. I'm not guaranteeing the gear on your cam is still usable, but there's a good chance.

With TBI and previous engines, distributor gear wear was possible but unlikely; and when it did happen, the timing retarded and performance suffered. There was an indication of trouble before the gear totally failed. The Vortec ignition system design does not change timing even when the distributor gear wears, so there's zero indication of trouble until total failure--or a guy pulls the distributor LOOKING for trouble.

The new Melonized gear--or the gear on the new distributor--should be "detailed" with a jeweller's file--all burrs and sharp edges gently rounded-over. This wasn't needed years ago when stuff was made "right" and we didn't have to worry about junk parts imported or domestic. But it's needed now, thanks to Corporate America and the Communist Collaborators in this country.

Vort123

Reaction score
This happened to me on the 97 2500 5.7 coming home from work on the freeway one evening. I replaced the distributor and the truck ran fine for many miles after

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Distributor gear failure is common on Vortec distributors even with OEM distributor gears, and on any steel roller-cam engine with a non-Melonized or cheap imported distributor gear. There's a reason that a Genuine GM Melonized distributor gear costs almost as much as an entire import-junk distributor assembly.

The distributor gear "probably" wore down gradually, leaving metal dust as the debris. MAYBE this didn't damage much. Most folks replace the gear--or the entire distributor--and drive away. Almost no-one tears down the engine looking for grit embedded on the pistons, or trapped inside the hydraulic lifters, or scoring the oil pump or bearings.

The gear on the camshaft seems to survive the distributor gear wear. I'm not guaranteeing the gear on your cam is still usable, but there's a good chance.

With TBI and previous engines, distributor gear wear was possible but unlikely; and when it did happen, the timing retarded and performance suffered. There was an indication of trouble before the gear totally failed. The Vortec ignition system design does not change timing even when the distributor gear wears, so there's zero indication of trouble until total failure--or a guy pulls the distributor LOOKING for trouble.
I've had my 93 Yukon for 10 years never thinking it was anything other than a stock crate motor. All parts, including distributors were purchased with this mindset.
I recently found out it has a roller cam and lifters.
Am I supposed to be thinking about the distributor?

I shoved my scope between the #8 rockers and managed this pic... Is this the cam gear?

Obviously I'll pull the distributor.. valve covers are off atm....
Is there something to look for as far as damage?

Attachments

• IMG20240417225654.jpg
    IMG20240417225654.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Far as I know, ALL TBI distributor gears are melonized, therefore suitable for steel-core cams.

Same with ALL Vortec distributor gears. For some reason, the Vortec gears tend to be high-failure/high-wear items even though they're melonized. Maybe GM changed suppliers, and the Melonizing process isn't as good, or the base metal is inferior.

If they're in good condition, leave 'em alone. But it's not a bad idea to pull the distributor to inspect the distributor gear.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If they're in good condition, leave 'em alone. But it's not a bad idea to pull the distributor to inspect the distributor gear.
I posted this in my lifter thread but I guess should have here...
Not sure what gear Im seeing with scope. Cam gear? Looks like it's broken on the edge..Getting ready to go look closer and try to figure out what I'm seeing...

turning the crank it looks like maybe an optical illusion.. The scope is kinda weird.... will try to get a video in a bit...getting pretty chewed up looking though?/but the scope is hard to judge...the resolution is too much and too little at the same time imo...

Attachments

• IMG20240418132635_01.jpg
    IMG20240418132635_01.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG20240418132559.jpg
    IMG20240418132559.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG20240418132539_01.jpg
    IMG20240418132539_01.jpg
    666.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG20240418132154.jpg
    IMG20240418132154.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG20240418132145.jpg
    IMG20240418132145.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure what gear Im seeing with scope. Cam gear? Looks like it's broken on the edge..Getting ready to go look closer and try to figure out what I'm seeing...

turning the crank it looks like maybe an optical illusion.. The scope is kinda weird.... will try to get a video in a bit...getting pretty chewed up looking though?/but the scope is hard to judge...the resolution is too much and too little at the same time imo...
Cam gear looks trashed...imo

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hello scott2093,

Your distributor driven gear looks good. For comparison purposes, check out what this
new distributor gear looks like:

You must be registered for see images attach

And to familiarize yourself with what a very worn gear looks like when worn to a 'knife edge',
this is what you should be on the lookout for:

You must be registered for see images attach

(credit: corvetteforum.com)

Although anything is possible, normally the driven distributor gear shows nearly all of the wear, while the drive gear
on the camshaft is still OK. And given the 100+K miles you have estimated to be on your crate motor, I would expect at
least some wear?

Note: In order to understand why there's wear in this area, <1% of the wear is due to power required to spin
the moving bits inside the distributor, whereas 99+% of the load is caused by the fact that the oil pump is driven from
the bottom end of the distributor shaft. (Easily seen/comprehended once you remove the distributor.)

Back in the pre-roller lifter days, normally there was little/no trouble in this area - everything just worked. But once
the cam core metallurgy was changed to meet the needs of the roller lifter, now came the requirement for a 'melonized'
distributor driven gear. (By the way, the first internet pic I posted above is of a brass distributor gear, which should
be considered a sacrificial gear that must be changed out on a regular basis. (!)

So, in order of desirability, the replacement distributor gear looks like this:

* Melonized gear (spendy but longest lasting)
* Brass gear (Much cheaper but can last as little as a single driving season)
* Old dizzy gear originally designed to work with a flat-tappet cam (not recommended!)

When you remove your distributor you should be able to get a clear shot of the
camshaft's distributor (oil pump) drive gear. I seem to remember that you had a
lot of glitter in the last oil change photo you posted, so if this is still occurring we
need to locate where this metallic debris is being generated/shed.

Again, the photos of your dizzy gear look good, especially given the accumulated mileage.
And I agree w/Shurkey, the cam gear photos are too low-res to make a determination.
But once you pull the distributor and take a well-lit shot of the cam gear viewed from
the opening you should get a sharp photo we can look at.

Best of luck in your repair journey --

Last edited: