HELP! Chasing possible ground issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DooSPX

Reaction score
I have a 1997 Chevy Tahoe 4wd. I believe I am chasing what could be a possible ground issue somewhere. The problem is while idling, the volts drop on the gauge and you can actually hear the engine load and unload when it happens. This happens even when the AC is off, so its not the compressor kicking on and off or the known faulty gauge problem. So far we have replaced the Battery cables, two alternators and a battery. Nothing has helped. Does this sound like a ground issue and if so, where are the possible ground wires?

Thanks in advanced.

mr_josh

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would start by verifying the actual output at idle with a multimeter at the battery. You might find that it’s
in spec and your gauge is bogus.

if it does end up that you’re not charging much at idle- what is your idle speed? I think from what you’re saying is that you suspect the low voltage is bringing the idle speed down but I suspect it could be the other way ‘round.

DooSPX

Reaction score
The solution is to ensure your battery terminals are clean and tight, and upgrade the barely adequate GM charging system wiring.

Thanks. The battery cables are new, and larger gauge than stock. Terminals are tight. I will check the battery with a multimeter today. I believe its a ground somewhere. Battery is new, two new Alternators... I hate electrical issues!

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
I hate electrical issues!

YA, like the engine just shutting off like you turned the key off, but it will immediately refire while coasting to a stop. Totally random. Could happened twice in the same day or three months between incidents.

Ken