heater control on low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96liftedchevy

Reaction score
i have a 96 silverado i changed out the blower motor resistor i have all fan speeds but when i change it to low after about 3 mins a smell burning wires. what would be causing this?

96liftedchevy

Reaction score
yes it only does it on low as long as i run they fan speed on high its fine but as i click it down it smell more and more and low it really gets to smelling. could it be a bad relay?

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It could be. If its not too much change that out and see if that fixes the problem. Otherwise it could be the blower itself. But just check around and smell too. If the smell is more intense around the blower motor then there's your answer. It will take awhile to figure it out. The only other thing I could think of, is it could be melting plastic. Which would be bad.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you bend anything on the resistor when you put it in?

Sent from somewhere in MN

96liftedchevy

Reaction score
no i didn't it was a little hard to get in though. i changed out my ignition switch because i lost my cruise control and many other things. i use to only have fan speed 5 and the others didn't work so i changed out the resister and it didn't fix the problem but when i fixed my ignition and got back my cruise and everything the fan worked now in every speed but now i smell the burning when on low speed