head unit for '91 c1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lowandloud91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i guess thats what i will do any suggestions what HU do you guys use im really a big fan of alpine and i was looking at the cda-105

what do you guys like?

ya alpine is good, ive used sony and kenwood as well. All seemed good to me. Generally, and i guess it doesnt matter too much just my preference, I like to get a HU the same brand as all my speakers. just my preference tho, you may not care to do that

zayres29

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i love to have matching stuff but to me the HU is the part that doesnt matter to match to me i dont know why but as far as amps/subs/speakers i usually try to keep all the amps the same the subs the same....etc im really involved in car audio so i know some companies make better speakers than amps and some better amps than speakers so i use the best of each (IMO of course) ill probably end up getting the cda-105 and i have a DC Audio 175.4 in the mail right now to power 2 sets of 6.5 components (havent decided on what brand yet) i will probably end up getting DC Audio amps for my subs as well for matching reasons and 8 sundown SA-8s in a 4th order blowthrough

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm running a Sony CDX-???? (cant remember the # of the top of my head), it's the top of the line for sony anyways. IMO Sony still makes a damn good product. Even Pioneer in recent years has been failing in quality. I have Sony X-Plode 3 way 4x6's for my front speakers, and some super mini tweeters mounted below the dash facing upwards. I'll soon be running 6X9's in the rears as well. Anyhow that head unit really has some power. I'd recommended Sony myself, but it all comes down to what your comfortable with and what your personal preference is...

zayres29

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ill check out sony its been a while for me with sony and i have felt that they were kinda falling off but ill compare it to the alpine and see what i like

jeff's88silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm running a sony and its a good HU. But i wont go with sony speakers anymore their 4x6's are some of the worse ive owned. And definately go with a remote its cheaper and easier once you remember the buttons

Poser

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
He hates that aftermarket head units in the '88-'94 dashes have to be put way over in the center of the dash.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is a GMC? Is the chevy dash different behind the stock radio? Because on my 91 Chevy there is a sort of "bump" in the plastic on the back "wall" of the radio hole (for lack of better words). It would be where the left circle thing in your pic is. I know it's basically irrelevant, but just something I noticed and was curious about.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've always been an Alpine guy. The first head unit I ever bought was an Alpine way back in '92. That head unit is still installed and still working perfectly in my '72 Duster that I drove in HS. Counting that one, I have 4 Alpines installed in vehicles. That's all I've ever bought. I have a 5th Alpine in my garage that will probably go in my dually.

This is a GMC? Is the chevy dash different behind the stock radio? Because on my 91 Chevy there is a sort of "bump" in the plastic on the back "wall" of the radio hole (for lack of better words). It would be where the left circle thing in your pic is. I know it's basically irrelevant, but just something I noticed and was curious about.

That's my '94 GMC dash. I'm not really following what you're looking at here, but there's no difference between a Chevy and GMC dash.

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just put a Clarion CZ500 into the tahoe -
http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-CZ500-Dash-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B0032FOJGG

It does everything I wanted, bluetooth with external mic, bluetooth stereo streaming (play mp3s/pandora/turn by turn nav instructions straight from the phone with no wires), has a USB plug in the rear with a 5' lead that I routed into the ashtray pocket below the dash, can play mp3's off a USB thumb drive or Ipod/Iphone, it directly controls the ipod/iphone as it does that. And the display has white letters that are easy to read, when it's turned off it blends into the dash as well.

Still have the stock speakers in the truck but they sound 100x better with this deck compared to the stock one. I have a set of Phoenix Gold 6.5" components I plan to install in the front doors soon.

Last edited:

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I have a Pioneer DEH-P4200UB. I looks a little different, you basically use the knob for everything, but I love it. It's got a clean look to it, blue LED display, and USB port on the fron that will charge your iPod as it plays. Plus, it was fairly cheap from Wal-Mart. Before that, I had an older Pioneer deck that just did CD's and radio, that thing never gave me any problems, had it in the truck for 6-7 years......after the stock CD player crapped out.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach