head unit for '91 c1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zayres29

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
first of all i HATE that the location of the kit to install a single din i have thought about just setting the radio on the seat untill i have the balls to cut my dash apart to do a custom install to the stock location
side note: im working on a center console now but i didnt account for a HU in it so i cant put it there
any suggestions

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's no way to put it in the stock location above the HVAC controls. If you notice the steep angle of the back side of the gauge pod, you would only have about half the depth needed, if that, to install it there. With some work, you might be able to put the HVAC controls on top and put the head unit below them, but then you have the issue of width. You would have to cut the crap out of the bezel and it would just look odd being so wide in relation to the HVAC controls. I hate the location in the center of the dash too, but without maybe a custom center console to mount it in, there's really no better option.

Last edited:

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im lost.... what do hate? Please throw a pic in your explanation because my brain is fried right now... stupid house building

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He hates that aftermarket head units in the '88-'94 dashes have to be put way over in the center of the dash.

You must be registered for see images attach

zayres29

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i thought about getting rid of the stock gauges and getting after market ones and then i would be able to build an entirely new panel to put the hvac HU and gauges in but at this point i have no idea

lowandloud91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ydont know if you would want to, but you could put it in your headliner...just throwin and idea