Head bolt torque specs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chadimus06

Reaction score
I have searched the web and forums for these specs and can't get an answer. The auto parts around me don't have a manual for my truck either. I've got 2000 chevy 3/4 ton with 5.7 L31. Does anyone know the torque specs or have a manual with them that they can give me? It would be muchly appreciated

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Edit, I found this,

The AERA Technical Committee offers the following information on cylinder head installation for 1996-99 GM 5.7L VIN R engines. This information is somewhat different than previous engines. GM is now recommending a torque turn method of tightening the cylinder head for this engine. It does not however, use a torque-to-yield bolt to mount the cylinder heads.
The cylinder head mounting bolts may be reused if they are not damaged in the threads or show neck-down or stretch condition. The bolts should be thoroughly cleaned of sealer before inspection and installation. Cleaned bolts should have a coating of GM sealing compound Part #1052080 applied to the threaded area only. The use of an aftermarket equivalent sealing compound is also acceptable to use on threads.
Follow the steps listed below to correctly install head gaskets for this engine being careful not to get any seal on the head gasket mating surfaces or gasket.
1. Place the head gasket over dowels with the bead up.
2. Carefully guide the cylinder head into position over the dowel pins and
gasket.
3. Coat threads of the head bolts with sealing compound and finger tighten all
bolts.
4. Tighten all bolts in sequence to 22 ft. lbs.
5. Tighten all bolts in sequence an additional turn in degrees, using J 36660 tool.
Short Bolts (3,4,7,8,11,12,15,16) Additional 55° Turn
Medium Bolts (14,17) Additional 65° Turn
Long Bolts (1,2,3,5,6,9,10,13 Additional 75° Turn
The AERA Technical Committee