HD Hoods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmfan454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello,
I have seen both the NBS and NNBS HD hoods on OBS trucks. The NNBS double bump (probably not the right name) HD Vortec hood is nice minus all the plastic but I am not sure if they are a direct bolt on. When I see one, I cannot get an answer from the guys on the facebook groups that post pics. Anyone have either hood on their truck and can post pics and answer if they had to be modified?

Last edited:

gmfan454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm, that would make sense. A guy did that same process for the NNBS tailgate on an OBS. It actuall looks nice.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Yup, you take a gmt400 hood and a later HD hood. Cutters, grinders and welders later you have the HD "bumps" on the GMT hood.

Seen it done by just grafting the "bumps", the whole skin or fabricating it right from the original GMT 400 hood.

Both the twin bump style and the raised center style.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
A little bit of studying any of the body styles and you'll see nothing is a direct bolt-on across generations. Those swaps you see aren't simply swaps, they are customizations. Typically the whole front clip is brought over and cuts are made on the fenders near where they meet the doors, and lots of body work magic is done.

The only bolt-on swap you'll see for a GMT400 is an 99-00 Escalade/Yukon Denali clip, which of course were very popular for a while, still are a little bit.

Richard

orphan40

Reaction score
The leading edge of the hood is completely different. The only way I could see it happening is to cut the humps out of the new hood and graft them onto the old. Not impossible, but far from bolt-on. I'm doing an '07-'12 front end swap on my obs and decided to rework the leading edge of the factory hood instead of trying to graft on the new hood.

gmfan454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very interesting to see how he did that. I would have never thought of it. Man, the red dually on page two of that thread..... AMAZING!