Hazard lights issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybcr783

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey y’all, I was originally going to mention this error when I got my truck but it wasn’t much of a nuisance as I don’t need to use my hazards often but I want to tackle this problem now.
I got a 2000 Chevy C2500 RCLB 8lug, which I now have owned for 11 months, my problem is my hazards don’t come on unless my brake pedal is engaged, quite odd, and am unsure of where to start troubleshooting.

tybcr783

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
forgot to add, when the brake is engaged with the hazard switch on, it isn’t a blinking hazard like it should be, just constantly on

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
forgot to add, when the brake is engaged with the hazard switch on, it isn’t a blinking hazard like it should be, just constantly on
When the hazards/emergency flashers are on, and the brakes are applied, the flashers DO NOT flash. Both lights are solid on until the brake pedal is released.
This is normal behavior for the GMT 400 series trucks with stock lights.
Also, when the headlights are on, the front corner marker and turn signal lens bulbs alternate flashing.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Inherent design flaw that stayed through the entire run of these trucks. This doesn't address the issue tho, that your flashers don't flash at all? It could be your flasher button has gone bad, or maybe just dirty contacts... Try quickly turning the flashers on and off multiple times, this can sometimes "clean" the contacts enough to work. You have brake lights so your fuse is good for the hazards, next thing I'd check is the flasher unit itself on the convenience center. Pull it out then put it back. Or replace it. Part number EP29L if I remember right... Or just pull one from another truck for testing lol - they were used from 95 to 2002 in all GM trucks and SUVs.

tybcr783

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the help, I did check the wiring harness and it looks stock, I’ll make sure to check the flasher button and the unit itself tomorrow morning.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got the same issue on my 96 K2500, I think it's related to a failure in the hazard flasher switch, I know my turn signal stalk is already faulty; but what's strange is the 4-ways work when the truck is in park, but when it's in gear they turn off.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Okay now that's a funky one lol! Maybe your transmission shift linkage or something in the column is playing with a wire, that's all I can figure because the lighting and transmission electrical never intersects except for the reverse lights.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay now that's a funky one lol! Maybe your transmission shift linkage or something in the column is playing with a wire, that's all I can figure because the lighting and transmission electrical never intersects except for the reverse lights.
That's what's got me stumped! I had everything pulled apart when I was doing my brake switch and I could see anything where the wires were making contact causing issues, I'm hoping replacing the stalk will fix it, I'm just waiting to cough up for an AC Delco one