Has Anyone Installed an Aftermarket Fuel Gauge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
Hey y'all I have a 1998 Chevrolet K3500 Silverado with the 5.7L V8/4L80e and a 34 gallon fuel tank. I have a problem.

In 1998, Chevrolet went from using the 0-90 ohm resistance to the 40-250 ohm resistance to measure fuel tank level. Well, the previous owner replaced the fuel pump (apparently), and somehow installed a '97 and older fuel pump into the truck along with all the different fuel lines.

When my tank is full, my gauge reads half, and when my tank is half-full, it reads empty. Instead of replacing all that crap, I'd rather just install an Autometer fuel gauge that uses the 0-90 ohm resistance.

Has anyone installed an aftermarket fuel gauge on these trucks? And if so, what wires did you use to make it work. Thanks in advance!

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you trying to avoid the hassle of dropping the tank or messing with removing/ shifting the bed?

I think you can just get the sender and it should not be too expensive.