HARD WARM START?!?!?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nathank23

Reaction score
anyone else experienced this?? im running an edelbrock carb and edelbrock manifold, ive already tried the heat insulater gasket, in-line check valve, timing, and carb adjustment, the carb is new but i checked to see if it was dripping gas when i shut it off and its not. any help would be greatly appreciated.. trucks a 88 z71 with a 91 350. i dont know if it makes a different but it was kind of hard to start with the stock tbi setup as well. when i first crank it in the morning it fires up instantly but after it gets warm and sits around 20 minutes it takes a while to start. thanks in advance

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
considering it s carb theres no telling what someone messed with or if its even tuned properly, id be leanign more towards its not tuned properly if at all. the edelbrock might have something to do with it, most get all sorts of funky after using them for awhile. id start there.

if it was hard to start as tbi then i cant tell you because now it is not, first your suggesting it take s a long time to crank and then you say its hard to start, which is it? is the starter heatsoaked? you have a return style pressure regulator correct?

nathank23

Reaction score
starters fine, no return regulator. sorry for not being clear it starts and runs fine cold start, but i have to work the starter on warm start, acting as if its flooding but its definitly not

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Timing could be off a hair, so could the rich lean mixture screws on the carb.. if everything else is good. On cold start, the choke is giving the engine enough gas to compensate for this most likely.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Spark plugs can also effect this.

Trenton Sauer

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My truck does the same thing i have a 91 gmc 305 tbi. starts fine cold when it warms up does not want to start that well. I am changing the distributor cap, spark plug wires and spark plugs. I will let you know if it helps

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
well A your gonna kill your fuel pump with no return regulator which could have added effect on vapor pressure during starting. check timing? starters tested?

nathank23

Reaction score
i had the timing checked with a light, plugs and wires have been replaced, im also using a holley 7psi electric fuel pump, with a cheap-o mr gasket regulator, my mechanic tuned the carb then when i had the trans rebuilt he adjusted on the carb as well. could the gas just be heat soaking?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is the accelerator pump working on the carb. If you pull the air filter cover, and look inside the carb, then pull the accelerator cable ( same as pressing the gas pedal) do you get a squart of gas. If not, the accelerator pump may be bad.