Half shaft replacement??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I was replacing my calipers today since the drivers side completely seized and when I was doing the passenger side I noticed my cv boot is tore to **** and there's mud caked inside. I've replaced a few cv shafts on fwd cars but never on a 4x4. By looking at it I know I have to take the caliper and rotor off along with the hub. After I have all that stuff removed do I just unbolt the shaft from differential and slide it out? Also do i have to drain the differential before I pull the half shaft out? If someone who has done this on these trucks can chime in and help me out I'd appreciate it.

P.S. ON a side note what the hell do I use to remove the caliper bolts? At first it looked like an allen bolt but my 10mm allen socket was too big and my 8mm allen socket was too small(I've never heard of a 9mm one) I end up using a torx bit but I know that definitely isn't the right way to do it

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just did mine again actually lol. There are 6 15mm bolts on the inner CV flange that bolt to the diff. Remove those and the inside of the shaft should drop from the center section. If not just tap on it with a dead blow and it should fall off. No need to drain the diff. On the outside the CV nut in the center of the hub is 27mm if I can recall. They are a ***** to break free. You have to leave the truck on the ground to stop it from spinning while you are breaking it. I just used a breaker bar and a long pipe. After it is broken you can jack the truck up and remove the tire. For the calipers, I have a GM slider bolt socket I snagged from NAPA. It is an allen but I'm not 100% on size. Good luck sir.

-Matt

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Once again you come through for me. So I don't have to disconnect control arms or ball joints or anything it will just slide out??

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your hubs are most likely going to be a ***** to get out. The easiest way I found to do it is to pop the upper BJ and swing the UCA out of the way and unbolt the lower shock bolt. That should give you room to get the CV shaft out. Just make sure you place a jack under your LCA before you break the upper BJ or the torsion bars will force the LCA down or you will have to unload your torsion bar to get the LCA back up.

-Matt