guide to rebuilding 4l60e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was curious if anyone knew of a decent guide that I could read before tearing apart a 4l60E. I am looking to rebuild a 4L60E to handle some power, and heavy duty towing, as well as a 1500mile trip to Florida in the summer of 2013. I have looked on amazon for a book specifically for this, but only came up with the same blue book that the parts store sells (which I have). Also are there any special tools I will need? First time really messing with an automatic transmission, I have rebuilt manuals with no problem(i found them easy).

This is for my 94 K1500. I will be rebuilding the engine and putting on vortec heads, so I want a transmission that will be able to hold the power and not get destroyed. Current transmission has approx. 165k miles (no problems, but I think with more power I will see issues).

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
The only upgrades you really need to worry about are the reactive shell and 2nd gear servo. For a relatively stock 5.7L you don't need to go wild. There's myriad information regarding exactly what you need to upgrade if you so choose.

Personally, I would recommend going extremely slow and lay EVERYTHING out in the order it came in. I've reassembled dozen of these things and trust me, you'll put something in backwards if you aren't vigilant.

Don't ask where I got this, and please don't redistribute it. The link will be dead soon so save it. You don't need ALL the tools described, but some of them will greatly help out. A pair of inside snap ring pliers and a seal scruncher are the only real "specialty" tools you need if you're creative. As well as a 5 gallon bucket with a hole cut into it. Good luck.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3mfvEek9atdNzI3OTE1NGYtZDc2Zi00MWExLWJiODAtYjVlOTMyZThiNmM3