GT4 to G80 lsd swap HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Landyacht300

Reaction score
Hey guys I`m new to the forum and am looking for help & hopefully guidance in the right direction.
i have a `96 C1500 2wd with a 10-bolt open diff and 373 gears. I am currently looking for help as I am in the beginning of trying to do a diff swap. So far I picked up a G80 LSD from a coworker out of a `05 GMC Canyon with 10-bolt 373 G80 LSD in hopes that everything would work together smoothly but I noticed that after i removed my stock diff that the outer bearings from both units are different sizes. I`m wondering if there is some sort of modifications I could do or aftermarket kits/parts i could buy to make it all work smoothly or is it a lost cause??? ANY help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
Your 96 has an 8.5 inch carrier. The Colorado will have the 8.6. You can order new bearings to use the updated carrier in your old housing. Timken bearing part # LM102949 and race part # LM102911 should be the part numbers you need.
Do not forget to use the pinion for the new gears. They are mated to on another and will cause severe problems if you try to short cut it because they are the same ratio.

FYI: G80 is not a LSD. It is an open differential/locker. I.e. open, one wheel peel until there is about a 100 rpm difference in wheel speed. At which point the system throws a monkey wrench in the spider gears and locks it up nice and tight. Again, this all happens at speed.
They tend to explode, often violently. There are some mixed reviews, but they are generally frowned upon here.

Last edited:

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
G80s are a mixed bag for sure. I have two trucks that had them. One needed new bearings so I swapped it for an Eaton Truetrack at the same time, great mod.

The other truck I havent had for long but the G80 acts up sometimes (stays locked longer than it should and locks at odd times) . I'm going to swap the fluid and see if that helps.

If I have to remove it, I'm putting a Truetrack in it too, or perhaps an Eaton E-locker