Got Me Scratchin My Head...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Seems like my truck just doesn't want to get back to work. After getting my truck back from the shop after getting the t-case swapped it developed another issue. After a long drive (about 30 miles of city driving), it began to surge/buck while on light to medium amounts of throttle. Aside from the intermittent surging/bucking the truck did not feel sluggish at all on the way home but I never beat on it cause I needed to get home. The bucking happened in any gear as well. It threw a CEL and the codes are P0340 and P0341. Additionally when you stab the throttle while in neutral or park, it is very slow to react.

Typically, I'd go ahead and replace the CPS, but I just replaced it with an ACDelco CPS (19417445) back in July due to the same P0340 code. Maybe I got a defective CPS...? Scratching my head here, but looking for advice as to what it may be. Me thinks it's time for a distributor after 184k miles, but I verified oil pressure while cranking and got about 20psi of oil pressure on the dash cluster. I'm hoping it's something I can tackle at home but will have to get my wallet ready if not. Thank you in advance for the help.

Curt

Reaction score
I forgot to mention I have a 1996 Chevy K1500 Suburban w/ 5.7L Vortec

Curt

Reaction score
Wiped-out distributor wrecked the new sensor?
Thanks for the reply. Is there any way I could test the distributor to know its the issue before I order a new one? Also, I know there are multiple threads on this, but are there any good replacement distributors out there? Seems like the results of older threads are inconclusive. I'd ideally like to replace this only one time (hoping it wont be a part I'd have to keep warrantying).

Curt

Reaction score
Purchased a distributor from Summit. Had my mechanic throw it in and turns out it was defective. After a long call with them, and them asking me why I wanted to change the distributor (I didn't have them diagnose), we agreed the best thing to do is to throw the original distributor back in the truck and then diag for the codes. Once the original distributor was put back in they couldn't find anything wrong with the truck. Got it back and it runs fine now, so not sure what's going on. Maybe it was a just a fluke...?