GM L31HD and cam choice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
interesting........this is the cam that GM put in the HT383E....and i really like my 383.

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/14097395.html

PRODUCT DETAILS
  • Hydraulic roller design
  • Duration @ .050" Lift( Deg): Intake: 196 / Exhaust: 206
  • Maximum Lift (in) W/ 1.5 Rocker: Intake: .431 / Exhaust: .451
  • Lobe Centerline ( deg): 119
  • Technical Notes: For the HT383 truck engine with 1.5 rockers
this is the same cam that is in the HT383.......at least that's what i just got from GM's website

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19355720.html

Stokes1114

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes ram jet is same as marine, hot cam is lt series. Misspoke.
If interested I have a brand new in sealed package comp cam 08-500-8 with comp lifters that I could part with. It would be a better torque cam than anything we've discussed so far. Even have their matching spring set as well.(bc it's crazy to run stock springs)

rangrayy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes ram jet is same as marine, hot cam is lt series. Misspoke.
If interested I have a brand new in sealed package comp cam 08-500-8 with comp lifters that I could part with. It would be a better torque cam than anything we've discussed so far. Even have their matching spring set as well.(bc it's crazy to run stock springs)

That cam is one of the options that came up on the cam quest program from CompCams website. Grind #XR258HR. Won’t their matching spring set need to have the heads machined? Their notes section mentions it I believe. I might be interested in it, I will let you know for sure in a few days.

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I just did this with my '98 2-door but I got mine from Karl Chevrolet which I think was $50 cheaper than your price and I got a $50 gift card to put toward my restoration project. I went with the #120 Alex's springs and retainers and the ZZ4 cam. I did a lot of research beforehand and that cam seemed like the best option.

I haven't had it tuned yet it's at the paint shop now. Tune is next stop.

rangrayy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I just did this with my '98 2-door but I got mine from Karl Chevrolet which I think was $50 cheaper than your price and I got a $50 gift card to put toward my restoration project. I went with the #120 Alex's springs and retainers and the ZZ4 cam. I did a lot of research beforehand and that cam seemed like the best option.

I haven't had it tuned yet it's at the paint shop now. Tune is next stop.

What are the specs on the ZZ4 cam and what exam are you using the 411 or black box?

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ZZ4 cam specs here...

Duration @ 0.050" Lift: 208/221
Lift: .474"/.510"
Lobe Separation: 112

I am somewhat of a neophyte and I don't know what a 411 is so I guess the answer is no. My truck is OBDII that much I know.