Getting worse and worse...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UpNorth

Reaction score
Hello, last year my wife and I inherited her grandparents 1997 Express conversion van with the 5.7. Practically rust free, never driven in winter, about 90k miles. From last summer to about February of this year, it started and ran perfectly. Always started right up, even once when it was about 10 degrees. It is our 3rd vehicle, and our plan was to only use it for trips. In February I hit a deer with my daily driver, so for a week I was driving the van to work. One day I go to start it after work, probably about 30 degrees out, and notice it has to crank for about 5-7 seconds before it starts, but then it was fine. Since then, it has gotten progressively worse and has me a little stumped.

At first I thought it was strictly a temperature issue, as it would only seem to do it on days where it was 30 degrees or colder. Over the next few weeks though, it started happening as it got warmer out. About a month ago it got to the point where it wouldn't start below 50 degrees without starting fluid. Fuel pressure was in spec per the service book, and seemed to hold on the gauge after the initial key-on prime. I replaced the spark plugs, rotor & cap, and fuel filter, but it didn't help. No CEL or other codes either. This week it has been in the 70s, and while it does start without starting fluid, it won't fire unless I depress the gas pedal some. When it does start, if I let off the gas it will die, like it can't hold idle. Eventually it seems to be able to hold idle, but weakly. When put into gear, it nearly stalls.

What is the most confusing to me however is from the beginning of these issues, once it is running and driving, it doesn't lack power. Drives completely normal with no abnormal symptoms until say you come to a stop light and idle, where it almost wants to die.

Hopefully you all can provide some insight on what I should look for here. Thank you.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1997 Express conversion van with the 5.7.

One day I go to start it after work, probably about 30 degrees out, and notice it has to crank for about 5-7 seconds before it starts, but then it was fine. Since then, it has gotten progressively worse

it got to the point where it wouldn't start below 50 degrees without starting fluid. Fuel pressure was in spec per the service book, and seemed to hold on the gauge after the initial key-on prime.
I'm not clear on this. You have fuel pressure in spec AFTER the initial prime? But not DURING the prime cycle?

I replaced the spark plugs, rotor & cap, and fuel filter,
Did you verify the spark plug wires and coil wire?

EGR system?

it won't fire unless I depress the gas pedal some. When it does start, if I let off the gas it will die, like it can't hold idle. Eventually it seems to be able to hold idle, but weakly. When put into gear, it nearly stalls.
Drives completely normal with no abnormal symptoms until say you come to a stop light and idle, where it almost wants to die.
Connect a scan tool. Verify EVERY sensor and computer output, in this case pay special attention to the Idle Air Control valve's ability to control idle speed, the Throttle Position Sensor, and the Coolant Temp Sensor.

Check the fuel trims.

The fuel injection spider is a known weak-spot. Also the intake manifold gaskets which are very likely to affect idle more than part-throttle or full-throttle operation.