Fuel pump is turning but not delivering fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam Strasser

Reaction score
I’ve got a quantum 255 in my stock sending unit. It’s got brand new everything fuel system wise. Filter, pump, lines, filter, etc. I can hear the fuel pump running but no fuel is coming out of the line straight off the sending unit. I’m not really sure why. I’ve got my terminator x relay controlling it. I connected it to the grey wire on pin 87 off the pump relay. I can hear fuel following in the tank, maybe I wired it backwards? I don’t know. Kinda just reaching for straws and making excuses not to pull the bed back off

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
If it's been sitting awhile, did you use fuel line rated for submersion when you put the new pump/motor inside the factory housing?

Adam Strasser

Reaction score
If it's been sitting awhile, did you use fuel line rated for submersion when you put the new pump/motor inside the factory housing?
I just put gas in it so it hasn’t sat with any in the tank. Not really sure what you mean by submersion. The rubber line on the pump is new and rated for ethanol. Rest of the lines are stainless braided. It’s a 20 gallon tank with roughly 6 gallons. Gauge is reading an 1/8 tank if that helps

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I just put gas in it so it hasn’t sat with any in the tank. Not really sure what you mean by submersion. The rubber line on the pump is new and rated for ethanol.

You said you installed the pump in the orginal pump housing.... so it's inside the tank, right? The fuel line used to connect the pump, is also inside the tank. That fuel line needs to be rated for submersion in gas. Just "rated" for gas/e85/jet-fuel/chocolate-syrup/whatever is not enough, as that assumes the liquid flowing THROUGH the hose, not being submerged in it. If you use regular fuel line, even if rated for EFI pressures, inside the tank, it will eventually fall apart, and you'll get a pump that's pumping fuel to nowhere.... just like what you're describing.

If you just put the fuel in recently, that's probably not long enough for it to disintegrate, but it's still something to be aware of so you're not back in this situation later on, if you didn't use the right hose.