Fuel Pump Disconnect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOWHNT

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone added a disconnect switch in line with their fuel pump relay? If so, where did you tap into the relay control wire?

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would this be a 1999 Chevy Suburban 4WD? Sorry that I don't know all of the forums "Lingo". Just work off GM eSI...They are listed 2WD or 4WD. I believe that latter is the "K". Sorry, worked at Buick Isuzu dealer.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
To answer your question, no I haven't done this but I assume your doing it as a security measure. You can add a switch anywhere, however I prefer switching the ground wire whenever possible. Less chance for accidental grounding.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The fuel pump relay is in the underhood fuse block. It is energized by the Vehicle Control Module (VCM) by supplying the relays coil B+ and ground is constant. The 20 amp "ECM-B" fuse provides (ORN) to the relays switch contacts with B+ on terminal 87. Terminal 30 is the GRY wire to the fuel pump(s). Find the GRY wire and add a soldered wire w/shrink tubing inside thru grommet to a quality toggle switch to handle 20 amp surge and 7.5 amps continuously. Run second GRY wire back out to OEM pump wire and solder / shrink tube. Should be good to go. Don't place the toggle switch where your knee you hit it going down the road. Use of all GRY wire is you choice, but use wire of same gauge.

Ground from the fuel pumps relay coils would be lower amperage by far, just same process, different wire from same relay.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Using ohms law, if "E" is 14 volts, the relays coil resistance measures 90 ohms = "R", then "I" is the amperage of 0.15 amps.