Fuel pump check valve location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

levsmith

Reaction score
I think I have a bad check valve on my 97 k1500. I pulled the main fuel line going to the intake (to rule out a spider injector or fuel pressure regulator) and plugged it after the fuel pressure test port. I turn the key on and the pressure builds to 60psi and as soon as the pump shuts off, it falls to 5-10psi within 2-3 seconds. So, it sounds like a problem inside my fuel tank as I haven't noticed any leaks between the tank and the intake. First off, does this sound right to you all?

If so, is the check valve located inside of the fuel pump, or is it part of the sending unit assembly that the pump is attached to? I'm wondering what exactly I need to replace if the check valve is the problem. It looks like AC Delco sells the sending unit and the pump separately. Thanks for any help!

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's part of the fuel pump assembly if I remember right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it is in the pump, you might as well bite the bullet and replace the whole pump/float assembly so you don't have to open that ***** up again.

Barry cowan

Reaction score
Hey everyone I’m sure it would Be better if I added a new fourm about this but I’m still sorta new to this. Anyway I have been having problems with my tahoe and how it is running the problem I’m getting is during the day when it’s over about 70 outside I’m having issues gettig it to crank up I have already replaced a good many parts to try and fix this problem but I have sorta gave and found a way to get it running. So far I have replaced the spider with the mpfi upgraded kit distributor wires plugs coolant temp sensor distributor cap swaped to an ac delco. At one point I was thinking it had to do with a compression issue. Although a couple of days ago I sprayed some starting fluid in the throttle body and it started to catch and run so I am thinking fuel pressure regulator. Also I have replaced the fuel pump within the last 3 months. Anyone with any idea what my problem could be I’m getting po300 and occasionally po306 and sometimes it throws a running rich code for bank one

Reaction score
It's in the pump from what i remember. But i have seen pinholes in the hose from the pump to sender make similar problems to.

levsmith

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I ended up replacing the entire pump and sender assembly. I didn't want to have to drop it again anytime soon

Reaction score
Hey everyone I’m sure it would Be better if I added a new fourm about this but I’m still sorta new to this. Anyway I have been having problems with my tahoe and how it is running the problem I’m getting is during the day when it’s over about 70 outside I’m having issues gettig it to crank up I have already replaced a good many parts to try and fix this problem but I have sorta gave and found a way to get it running. So far I have replaced the spider with the mpfi upgraded kit distributor wires plugs coolant temp sensor distributor cap swaped to an ac delco. At one point I was thinking it had to do with a compression issue. Although a couple of days ago I sprayed some starting fluid in the throttle body and it started to catch and run so I am thinking fuel pressure regulator. Also I have replaced the fuel pump within the last 3 months. Anyone with any idea what my problem could be I’m getting po300 and occasionally po306 and sometimes it throws a running rich code for bank one
Sounds like you may need to change intake gaskets. Had a similar problem once.

Barry cowan

Reaction score
Sounds like you may need to change intake gaskets. Had a similar problem once.

Thanks I’ll look into that I have a guy who does my alignments and pretty much anything I can’t do tell me they usually go bad around 80k 100k miles I’ve been told the motor in this Tahoe had around 170k on It which who knows I do know it’s been swaped there’s plenty of evidence of a swap the body shows 286k a small of now although I did a car fax on it and it showed 324k in 2010 lol