fuel injection is fine but still running rich...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dave priddy

Reaction score
hey guys, bear with me. i am new at this truck stuff. i"ve got an "88 gnc sierra sle, two door standard cab, stepside short bed. it was originally 305ci, th400, 3.42 posi 10 bolt. now it has gm crate 350ci, with about 60,000 miles on this engine. there is 200,000 miles on truck. trans is rebuilt and so is the rear end,as well the suspension. the trouble i am having is with it flooding. i had a mechanic friend check it out. when you start it in the morning, you can just smell the gas when it idles. it is fouling plugs. my mechanic friend checked the tbi and it was good, the fuel pressure regulator was providing the correct pressure to the tbi. the injectors were putting out a good spray pattern and he checked the o2 sensor with another one and both of them were not reading correctly. his words were "they were all over the map". also, do not have any codes from obd1 port. he does not have any obd1 diagnostics equipment anymore. he put in new plugs and is running good but you can still smell the gas like it is still getting too much fuel. i replaced the plugs about 8 months ago they were fouled too. i am at loss. i honestly don't have any ideas. but, i was wondering if all the other stuff he checked out is kosher, could it be the truck's pcm or controller or maybe the **** or eprom that is getting screwy? i apologize for this being long winded, but i'm lost on this. any information or suggestions you could provide would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The O2 sensor should jump up and down, this indicates your ECM is adjusting accordingly. If it stays high or low for 30 seconds, you'll get a fault code 45 - "rich" or 44 - Lean".

Are you still running the same chip from the 305? I'm guessing your ECM is the 1227747. In the controller's program you have the Integrator (short term fuel trim) and the BLM (Block Learn Multiplier - long term) that try to maintain your air/fuel ratio ~128, based on the O2 sensor's feedback. If it's above 128 it's running lean. If it's below it's running rich. Unfortunately they can only do so much. You'll need to tune the Main fuel Table so the BLM can get you closer to 128. This picture is from my bin file in TunerPro RT.

Of course this is assuming everything else is working correctly.

You must be registered for see images attach