Frustrating Electrical Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pallaton

Reaction score
First off, I have a 1995 K2500 Ext Cab long bed 454 4l80e

I have searched and searched and read and tried a lot of different things and cannot find the solution to my problem. Based upon information I have found on this site and others, I have followed wiring diagrams and others' common problems chasing mine to no avail.

I have intermittent shift indicator lights that mostly don't work. While the shift indicator lights are out I don't have power to HVAC controls, cruise control, and wipers that I've noticed.

I have replaced the ignition switch, the neutral safety switch, the connectors for the neutral safety switch, and I pulled the dash out and cleaned everything up and checked all the wiring and connectors for anything out of the ordinary. I believe I have also checked all the grounds, but I may have missed something. At this point I'm considering trying a new computer, but don't have any other symptoms of a bad computer.

I don't have any trouble codes and the truck runs and shifts perfectly. My only problem seems to be an intermittent lack of power. I am very stumped and frustrated. Windshield wipers and hvac are a must when driving around and having them go in and out is frustrating.

Thanks for any help.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Check the two positive leads at your battery. If you still have the spacer in between them (unlikely by now, but check anyway) it may have crushed a little and allowed the cables to loosen, and corrode. Even if it's not there anymore, check it and be sure you don't have corrosion set up between the cable ends and attaching bolt. This end and the ignition switch are the two common problem areas for the symptoms you have, and since you already addressed the switch...

Richard

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
There's a possibility they share a common ground as well, could be a bad connection there too.

Pallaton

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. The battery cables are new and I haven't been able to find a bad ground. I even replaced the grounds that go to the tstat housing. There has to be a commonality amoung this issue somewhere, since it all happens at the same time, but I can't find it, even just looking at wiring diagrams. I suppose I will continue to scour wiring and parts and replace everything that looks questionable until I have a new truck.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
OK, new battery cables - but - are you 100% sure you have them set up in a way that they make a consistent connection at the battery terminal? How do you have them installed? Covering still on the terminal ends, spacer in between, factory length bolt? Covering stripped off, spacer removed, shorter bolt? Etc.

Richard

Pallaton

Reaction score
There is a covering on both cables with no spacer in between the cables and the battery. I can't see any reason why there wouldn't be good connection at the battery. The last 2 days it was perfect, then i turned it on today and no lights, and some power missing. I messed with all the grounds while watching the cluster (with a helper) to see if the lights would at least flicker. Could it be in the computer? I'm thinking maybe I should try a new one?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You don't have a proper connection then. Either install the spacer and correct bolt (not my choice as they're problematic), or trim the covering off the terminal ends so they fully touch each other and run a short bolt so they can be sufficiently tightened.

Richard

Pallaton

Reaction score
You're talking about the rubber at the end of the cables right?

You must be registered for see images attach

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes, the red and the black just for the round part of the ring, I never had anything but problems with them originally...I wouldn't go so crazy as to take the whole thing off though just enough that they make solid connection to each other, and the battery.

Pallaton

Reaction score
Ok so I was wrong, the positive side does have a spacer. I cut off just the rubber around the ring on both sides and put it back together, but still the same problem. I also double checked the positive cable at the fuse block and it is good. Any other suggestions?