Front Receiver Hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Westieterrier

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Forum Members, I am new to ownership of my wonderful 1999 Chevy C2500 Classic long bed 2wd. This is the first of MANY questions I will ask as I set up my truck with my Lance Camper. But first, I am trying to find a Front Receiver that will fit, and the first two (2) I got from Amazon do not. The first one was for a 1999 Silverado, which didn't fit at all and is when I discovered I have a "Classic" 1999 pickup, basically a throwback to the 1988 - 1998 years (which I think is pretty cool). The second Drawtite front hitch bolts up just fine, but in angled so far up it hits the bumper. It can't be fully bolted and is angled too far (see pic). The part number is 65005 and its SUPPOSED to fit (I called the company). The front of my frame angles up towards the bumper. The hitch seems to want to bolt on something straight. I don't think I have an HD, if even that would matter. I'm complete at my wits end. Anybody have a suggestion. Would REALLY appreciate it. P
You must be registered for see images attach

mr_josh

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey there fellow Oregonian.

I have a front receiver on my K2500 (because I also have a truck camper and needed a rack up there). I looked at the installation instructions for my receiver and it calls out compatibility with C2500 6-lug models only, not the HD 8-lug. I don’t know enough about these trucks to say for sure but it looks like the 8-lug 2wd trucks have a different (angled) front frame section than the 4wd and 6-lug 2wd trucks.

I think I’d find someone with a welder and see about making up some wedge shaped spacers that you can bolt in to level it out.

Good looking truck and camper combo.

Westieterrier

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey there fellow Oregonian.

I have a front receiver on my K2500 (because I also have a truck camper and needed a rack up there). I looked at the installation instructions for my receiver and it calls out compatibility with C2500 6-lug models only, not the HD 8-lug. I don’t know enough about these trucks to say for sure but it looks like the 8-lug 2wd trucks have a different (angled) front frame section than the 4wd and 6-lug 2wd trucks.

I think I’d find someone with a welder and see about making up some wedge shaped spacers that you can bolt in to level it out.

Good looking truck and camper combo.
Hi Josh, thanks for replying! I'm in Portland. I think you're right as additional research has led me to a USA-made Curt Hitch, no. 31043. From the picture it looks like the same hitch but with a much greater angle. Curt's website says it'll fit my truck. The only question I have for you is do you think I have an HD? I bought it from the widow of the original owner and she didn't think it was an HD. A VIN check with the dealer was silent on the issue except to say I have the larger 14-bolt 10.5" rear. This truck is so confusing as it's a changeover year. What do you think?

I'd love to see your camper setup. Thanks man. P

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I put a used Curt on my truck.

It clears the plastic air dam. Good to have another truck camper on the forum!

I don't have many of just the truck and camper.

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Reading the Q&A page at https://www.etrailer.com/Front-Hitch/Draw-Tite/65005.html#exp-productdetails=.questions I stumbled upon this.

Front Mount Trailer Hitch for a 1989 Chevy C2500 Pickup Truck​

Question:
Will it fit the 1989 Chevrolet Light-Duty C2500 pickup? If not, what is your recommendation for a front receiver hitch?
asked by: John
Expert Reply:
We do have some front mount hitches that fit a 1989 Chevy C2500 pickup but # 65005 only fits the 4-wheel drive models. For a 2-wheel drive we have # 65021. It fits as long as the truck is not a crew cab model and as long as it has 8-lug wheels.

We also have Curt front hitch # 31043. It will fit as long as you do not have a cab and chassis model which has a frame width of 34 inches measured from the outside of one frame rail to the outside of the other.

I have included links to the installation instructions for both of these hitches for you.
expert reply by: Michael H

Here is a link with "C" series listed.

http://www.hitchwarehouse.com/Draw-Tite-Front-Mount-Receiver-65021/65021/

Looking at the directions for your part # 65005 and reading the application listings for that part on various sites, I would have thought 65005 would have fit.

From the install instructions for 65005.

"Front Mounted Receiver
Installation Instructions
Tahoe, Yukon, Full Size Blazer Chevy/GMC Pickup, Suburban,
1500 Series – All 2WD & 4WD, 2500 & 3500 Series – 4WD,
2500 Series 2WD 7200 Lb. GVW With 6 Lug Wheels"

From the install instruction for 65021.

"Front Mounted Receiver
Chevy/GMC Pickup & Suburban
2500 & 3500 Series – 2WD Only
8600# GVW And Higher (8 Lug Wheels)"

Definitely understand ordering the wrong part there if that is what happened. :think:

Seems as though the manufactures webpage (wrongly?) list 65005 when inquiring about a C2500.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Westieterrier

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
88-98 truck but some went to 2000 in heavy lineup .

8 lug got heavy angled front frame horns yes .

10.5" full floating axle rear sure will be nice to have .
Hi SweetK, thanks so much for this helpful reply. Considering the 3.73 10.5 Axle; 8-lug wheels; 8600 GVW; and front frame configuration, does that indicate I have an HD? I have 7-page .pdf of my RPO Codes kindly printed out for me by a super nice parts guy at the local dealership (love Oregon!), but I can't read it as I don't have the decoder. The answer might be there. Thanks! P

Westieterrier

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Reading the Q&A page at https://www.etrailer.com/Front-Hitch/Draw-Tite/65005.html#exp-productdetails=.questions I stumbled upon this.

Front Mount Trailer Hitch for a 1989 Chevy C2500 Pickup Truck​

Question:
Will it fit the 1989 Chevrolet Light-Duty C2500 pickup? If not, what is your recommendation for a front receiver hitch?
asked by: John
Expert Reply:
We do have some front mount hitches that fit a 1989 Chevy C2500 pickup but # 65005 only fits the 4-wheel drive models. For a 2-wheel drive we have # 65021. It fits as long as the truck is not a crew cab model and as long as it has 8-lug wheels.

We also have Curt front hitch # 31043. It will fit as long as you do not have a cab and chassis model which has a frame width of 34 inches measured from the outside of one frame rail to the outside of the other.

I have included links to the installation instructions for both of these hitches for you.
expert reply by: Michael H

Here is a link with "C" series listed.

http://www.hitchwarehouse.com/Draw-Tite-Front-Mount-Receiver-65021/65021/

Looking at the directions for your part # 65005 and reading the application listings for that part on various sites, I would have thought 65005 would have fit.

From the install instructions for 65005.

"Front Mounted Receiver
Tahoe, Yukon, Full Size Blazer Chevy/GMC Pickup, Suburban,
1500 Series – All 2WD & 4WD, 2500 & 3500 Series – 4WD,
2500 Series 2WD 7200 Lb. GVW With 6 Lug Wheels"

From the install instruction for 65021.

"Front Mounted Receiver
Chevy/GMC Pickup & Suburban
2500 & 3500 Series – 2WD Only
8600# GVW And Higher (8 Lug Wheels)"

Definitely understand ordering the wrong part there if that is what happened. :think:

Seems as though the manufactures webpage (wrongly?) list 65005 when inquiring about a C2500.

Best of luck.
This is the answer Matt! Thank you SO much for your help. I just ordered the Curt 31043 from Newegg. Prices are all over the place. Really appreciate it. P

Westieterrier

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
8 lug 2500 = HD. 6 lug 2500 = light duty (regular duty?)

Here’s mine with front rack. I’m down just south of Salem.

Hi Josh, that's a nice camper! It looks about the same size as my 11.3 Lance LC 780, which is a whooping 3,500 lbs fully loaded. So, do you think that considering the 3.73 10.5 Axle; 8-lug wheels; 8600 GVW; and front frame configuration I have an HD? I have a 7-page .pdf of my RPO Codes kindly printed out for me by a super nice parts guy at the local dealership (love Oregon!), but I can't read it as I don't have the decoder. Thanks for your responses. P