Fobs and alarm systems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KenMAthisHD

Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m trying to figure out what alarm system I’ve got in my 1992 GMC k1500. The fob doesn’t seem to be a typical GM supplied fob, and while I can find some that are similar I can’t find a match. I’ve posted a picture below of what the fob looks like now, as well as a drawing next to it of what it used to look like - I’m still trying to find the other fob I had to see if it has any info I can pull off it. It’s a 2 button fob with a single red led in the middle of the top half. It used to have a sticker on it that made the top half red with a white border, and the numbers 1 and 2 that would go over the two buttons were white as well. If anybody knows what the fob model is or can tell me anything about the alarm system from it then that would be great (possibly unlikely, but great nonetheless). To add a few more details, my grandfather purchased the truck from Park Pontiac in Texas I think in 92-93, he said it was an aftermarket system that the dealer installed when he bought the truck. I could’ve sworn I saw something mentioning viper somewhere in the documentation I have with the truck, but I haven’t been able to find it since.

I’ve also got a picture of the audiovox motion detector that’s under the hood on the front passenger wheel well, I probably ought to get a picture of the siren next to it when I get the chance. There’s also a clear box under the dash that lights up red when I shake it, have a picture of that too, but doesn’t do anything otherwise. I forget what it said on the side of the box, I’ll see if I can get a look at it to see what’s printed on the box under the dash when I get home.

I know it still works to some degree, the locks will react when pressing the fob button, but not always. And when I set the on-off switch under the dash to on the other day, I wasn’t able to start the truck and the red led light on my dash to the left of my steering wheel was flashing. After turning the switch off, I could start the truck. The switch doesn’t seem to affect wether or not the fob will be able to activate the power locks.

Any info is appreciated, I’ll see what I can get off that little light up thing and see if I can locate the second fob too. If anyone might know where to look for whatever controls it, that would be awesome!

You must be registered for see images attach

shorepatrol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's gonna be a nightmare. Unless you are real good at auto electrical , I'd pay someone to remove it and install avital alarm with remote start. I did lol.

KenMAthisHD

Reaction score
So I’ve gotten some actual data though haven’t come up with much in the way of determining the exact system type.
That little clear plastic thing with the circuit board that lights up red? Under dash glass break/shock detector, stamped with PRO 9094C
The little black box I found that looks like it’s the brains of the operation is labeled VPS 2000, VPS stands for Vehicle Protection Systems. It has a FCC ID of ELV55AAL706R, which is registered to NuTek Corporation. So far what I’m coming up with while searching is:

a.) it’s part of a Pursuit PRO 9094C security system, which is an Audiovoxx brand, but it too old to have any internet data on it
b.) it’s a system from Vehicle Protection Systems, which is either out of business or just so old/sold so little units that no info was uploaded to the web
c.) it’s a system from NuTek, which is almost as impossible to find information for. Apparently NuTek is out of business and their equipment was made in Taiwan, but none of the info points me to a specific system, just to the FCC ID of a transmitter they made some 30+ years ago
d.) the system doesn’t exist and instead my fob has some sort of magic power that just so happens to only be able to arm and unarm some weird protection spell on only my truck

Since the Motion Detector is from Audiovoxx, I’m inclined to believe option A, which kinda sucks since I’d really like to know how it operates. But, there appears to be other Audiovoxx systems that operate in a similar manner with similar equipment, so I’m hoping it’s just a copy paste version of some system that was sold under different names and that the instructions I find for those other systems online will also work for whatever system I have here.

That being said, I might just remove it when I do my LQ swap and upgrade to a modern system since transmitters will likely be impossible to find when mine finally break. But, I kind of like that the system may be so old with so little information available on it as perhaps that means someone will be less likely to know how to bypass it.

Found the original transmitter for it, posted a pic of it for comparison. Most of the sticker is gone but a little shows kind of how it used to look, even has a little of the Vehicle Protection Systems bit still on there

KenMAthisHD

Reaction score
It would appear as though the shock sensors part number is PRO9094C, not the alarm model number. Still can't find anything on VPS2000, perhaps at this point I'll need to crack open that black box and see if I can get an actual reference number for the alarm system

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would think the whole system is an Audiovox system. IMO your best option, is to replace the system with a new up to date system. I had a Python system in my truck for years. Key fobs finally quit working. I replaced it with a Viper. Well little did I know, they are the same system, but the new Viper is more up to date. it was an easy swap. Im sure it will be more of a PIA to swap the Audiovox system, but its well worth it if you use your system. Hell the keyless entry alone is worth it IMO. Then there is remote start if you want.

Bouncytruck

Reaction score
Following. My rig has a UNGO Box system but the fob doesn't work so I can arm the system to see if it works. I'll probably go the route of removing or replacing since UNGO was purchased by Clarion

Old Truck

Reaction score
I also have the same system with FCC ID:ELV55AAL706R. Have had the truck going on 18 years without any problems - without any remotes, until today. Tried to crank at first, but now nothing. Wiring looks like a spaghetti bowl. Any recommendations on a system, local shop in this 3-light main drag town sells Viper.

Armalite15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow haven't seen an Audiovox in forever, we used to sell them in the late 80's. I'd personally second the idea of pulling the whole thing and starting fresh.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I liked my Viper alarm+remote start in my 99 Blazer, installed it myself and never had any problems with it from 2008-15. That was a Viper 5900 model, kinda miss it sometimes and have highly considered getting another.