Fixed the cruise control, now not working again?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LDNGoon

Reaction score
1992 GMC 1500 sportside.

Got it 'new to me' recently with non functioning cruise control. I replaced the brake light switch successfully, still no CC. Then I replaced the turn signal lever and following that, the CC was fixed. Test drove it, verified cruise control was working at 45mph. I drive home and then the next day it was not working again.

Any ideas what to check next?

Turn signal still works so its not the [turn signal/cruise control] fuse. My only thought is maybe the brand new lever is acting up somehow?

Note: cruise control light never ccame on the dash when it did work for a bit.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IS THERE a "cruise control light" on a '92? There isn't on my '88. I don't think there is one on my '97, but I don't drive it enough to remember for sure.

Faulty new parts are a possibility. As is a faulty original wire harness to the cruise control, a faulty cruise control unit, disconnected cable at throttle lever...and a half-dozen more possible problems.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's no light. You use your eyes, and butt

LDNGoon

Reaction score
OK, no light. Got it. Guess I'll get a multimeter out and try tracing the wiring now..