Firefighter POV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamez556

Reaction score
I'm a firefighter and use my 90 k1500 5.7 as my personal owned vehicle and use it to respond to emergencies. To say the least she needs more get up and go, all that's been done is a tbi rebuild, space, and short headers. Need some reliable power on the cheap. Thanks in advance.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Why more power? I see guys with old crappy fwd cars with lights on them. If you've got big tires and tall gears, get stock size tires.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
START by making sure it's producing rated power.
COMPLETE tune-up and inspection:
Scan tool to verify no stored/pending codes, and to look at data stream for any inconsistencies.
Compression test all eight
Fuel pressure test at heavy load, high RPM
Check air filter, probably replace fuel filter
Verify exhaust is not plugged or partially-plugged. An aftermarket monolithic catalyst is STRONGLY recommended, especially if the original catalyst is the old "pellet" type.
Fresh spark plugs, verify plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, and base ignition timing
Fresh O2 sensor if it hasn't been replaced in several years

AFTER you know for sure that the engine is running as it should, then you can start with more extensive modifications.

My '88 is getting aftermarket cylinder heads, and aftermarket intake manifold. I'm hoping to use a Vortec 5.7 cam without computer mods. Maybe I'm dreaming.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I 2nd the complete tune-up first. Its amazing how much power is hidden behind crusty 100-200k mile engine parts.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
x3 on the tune up. How many miles are on the truck? Do you know what kind of gearing you have?