finally got myself a gmt400. always wanted one.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasburrito

Reaction score
Bud in high school had a new 94 ext cab z71. Blue with gray on bottom. Always wanted a Chevy truck after riding in his. Loved that truck. So I was having trouble with my everyday SUV. Ended up being bad ecm 4runner. Found a southern 99 suburban. Not rusted. Super hard to find not rotted rigs in rust belt mi. 185000. Pretty much everything works on it .runs good. Some vibes over 70. Its a truck right? Ended up finding out why it was being sold. Found coolant low. Noticed tiny bubbles in overflow. Have driven 1000 miles. Oil looks good. Decided it has blown head gasket. Brought to engine shop. They are looking at it as I type. I brought them new plugs NGK ac delco wires cap rotor felpro intake gasket. Synthetic oil filter. Water pump(do not know if it needs) and 4 new 02 sensors. They said they will check distributor gear. They are gonna get head gaskets. Hoping to get it all fixed for under a grand. 1300 if needs new head. Hey its my 1st post! Great site.cheers. any advice? Should I be thinking timing chain too?

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
:welcome: and I would get a new timing cover. Iirc the vortec engines use a plastic cover and are a one time use part.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Timing cover for sure, they are cheap. Should'n have to worry about the chain if the motor has been cared for decently.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome from mi. Where are you
From in the stste

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tricky's_Limitedhoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome from Chicago. Keep us updated on work to motor and any pic's?

Sent from a Phone Booth using Tapatalk

CDHenry6

Reaction score
Marshfield, WI. Born and raised in Central PA.
Howdy from Wisconsin ! My grandfather had a brand new 89 Sierra , and I always wanted ne, I finally got my Silverado a week ago. I have been wrenching and love every minute of it ! As a new user myself , let me tell you : this board is AWESOME ! There is so much collective knowledge here , that if you can't find someone to help with a problem , it's a completely new and unheard of problem.

That's the great thing about these rigs; they've been around long enough that we know pretty much everything there is to know about them !

Again , welcome aboard !