Finally Got My Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JB97

Reaction score
Hey all, glad to be here. Finally got my project truck, been a long time coming. I have been visiting for about the past two weeks reading old threads and figuring out my game plan. I picked up a sweet 97 extended cab with a 5.7 3 weeks ago at a steal and have already started putting things in motion. Ran into a few snags right of the bat and figured out that the entire cab had been plasti-dipped and the radiator had to be replaced. The plasti-dip wouldnt have been to bad if it would have been done correctly. So had to start with getting it all off before I can move on to getting the body squared away. Only minor body work needs to be done so once I am able to get started it won't take to long to get that done. New radiator is already in and converted the fan over to a 16' electric pull fan with a control module.

This is what it looked like when I brought it home
You must be registered for see images attach

Plasti-Dip is a real pain, I tried a few different things to get it to loosen up but I ended up using mineral spirits a soft bristle brush and the trusty pressure washer. So far I have about 3 hours in all put into getting the plasti-dip off. Which most time was spent with trial and error to figure out what would work best. Here is how she is looking now. Still a ways to go but its getting there.

Still need to hit the fender on this side, havent touched it yet.

Got this side done with the exception of small pieces that can be rubbed off with a towel.

Already pulled the seats and carpet out as the seats were torn and the carpet was trashed. I swapped the hood with my step dad's 96(just not into cowl hoods) and put a stock hood on it. Already have the new mirrors as they are really loose and the passanger side the glass is busted up. Have the tail gate shave kit already and picking up a power slide sunroof this weekend. Still trying to decide what color I want to go with, really like the dark blue that the bed is but not sure which route I want to go. Wheelwells are already cut out under the hood and I'm thinking of getting rid of the 22's and getting 20's,still some rubbing on turns and can't do any type of sharp turning. Once I get the body work done and get a nice primer coat on it I'm planning on pulling the dash and door panels off and doing a custom fiberglass job on them. A long road ahead but I am ready for the trip. Sorry for the long post but if you couldn't tell I am a little beyond stoked about my new project.

JB97

Reaction score
Ummm...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yea, I watched tons of videos on how to remove it but it was 1 thin layer. From what I researched to pull it off like that it has to be applied at a minimum of 3 layers.

Brian9o12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, glad to be here. Finally got my project truck, been a long time coming. I have been visiting for about the past two weeks reading old threads and figuring out my game plan. I picked up a sweet 97 extended cab with a 5.7 3 weeks ago at a steal and have already started putting things in motion. Ran into a few snags right of the bat and figured out that the entire cab had been plasti-dipped and the radiator had to be replaced. The plasti-dip wouldnt have been to bad if it would have been done correctly. So had to start with getting it all off before I can move on to getting the body squared away. Only minor body work needs to be done so once I am able to get started it won't take to long to get that done. New radiator is already in and converted the fan over to a 16' electric pull fan with a control module.

This is what it looked like when I brought it home

Plasti-Dip is a real pain, I tried a few different things to get it to loosen up but I ended up using mineral spirits a soft bristle brush and the trusty pressure washer. So far I have about 3 hours in all put into getting the plasti-dip off. Which most time was spent with trial and error to figure out what would work best. Here is how she is looking now. Still a ways to go but its getting there.

Still need to hit the fender on this side, havent touched it yet.

Got this side done with the exception of small pieces that can be rubbed off with a towel.

Already pulled the seats and carpet out as the seats were torn and the carpet was trashed. I swapped the hood with my step dad's 96(just not into cowl hoods) and put a stock hood on it. Already have the new mirrors as they are really loose and the passanger side the glass is busted up. Have the tail gate shave kit already and picking up a power slide sunroof this weekend. Still trying to decide what color I want to go with, really like the dark blue that the bed is but not sure which route I want to go. Wheelwells are already cut out under the hood and I'm thinking of getting rid of the 22's and getting 20's,still some rubbing on turns and can't do any type of sharp turning. Once I get the body work done and get a nice primer coat on it I'm planning on pulling the dash and door panels off and doing a custom fiberglass job on them. A long road ahead but I am ready for the trip. Sorry for the long post but if you couldn't tell I am a little beyond stoked about my new project.
Nice lookin truck man. Welcome to the thread

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk