Falls flat under acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BILL NIVEN

Reaction score
1990 Silverado K1500 5.7 automatic. Under normal acceleration the truck runs good. Pull out to pass accelerating from 50 mph it has no power and spark knocks pretty bad. You can feel passing gear kick it but will not accelerate.
I have a new TBI, IAC, fuel pump and filter, plugs, wires, ICM, cap and rotor, converter and rebuilt trans. I have replaced every sensor under the hood but no change. Verified initial timing at 0 degrees with computer disabled. Fuel pressure checks normal at idle, had to add Schrader valve.
I have a new distributor but not installed yet.
I am a shade tree wrench Turner and its obvious I have missed something. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I prefer to do my own work and not take to shop.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the 2nd thread

1990 Silverado K1500 5.7 automatic. Under normal acceleration the truck runs good. Pull out to pass accelerating from 50 mph it has no power and spark knocks pretty bad. You can feel passing gear kick it but will not accelerate.
I have a new TBI, IAC, fuel pump and filter, plugs, wires, ICM, cap and rotor, converter and rebuilt trans. I have replaced every sensor under the hood but no change. Verified initial timing at 0 degrees with computer disabled. Fuel pressure checks normal at idle, had to add Schrader valve.
I have a new distributor but not installed yet.
I am a shade tree wrench Turner and its obvious I have missed something. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I prefer to do my own work and not take to shop.

BILL NIVEN

Reaction score
Reset the TBI? I cleared and reset the computer with jumper wire between A&B terminals.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reset the TBI? I cleared and reset the computer with jumper wire between A&B terminals.

I'm not sure what you mean about reset the TBI? By jumping terminals A & B you're getting stored codes in the ECM. It will still retain those codes until a certain amount of key restarts or, you can disconnect the negative terminal on the battery and short that cable to the positive terminal to drain all capacitors in the ECM. What I was talking about in my previous post was calibrating the TBI. When you install new sensors, you need to calibrate them for your TB and throttle cable. HTH