Factory truck configurations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm wondering which trucks came with cab markers? Was it only the 3500?

I have a 3/4 ton 6 lug with no cab markers. Curious because I've seen some 3/4 tons with and without cab markers,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it was just a option that people or dealers could order the truck with. I'm not sure if there's a real pattern to what truck gets them and which don't.

I think they could be ordered factory on the 2500 and 3500 trucks. I don't think that they were available on the 1500's.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
If you don't have them, count that as a blessing, as they'll eventually leak. Mine have also eaten bulbs since new.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
They were a option in 1500/2500 trucks and mandatory in most 3500 trucks. The only exception i've seen is the Cheyenne Package SRW 3500's which didn't have them. (Like My 94 when i first got it) If i remember correctly, all of the Silverado Package 3500's had them i believe and 2500's that came with the old winged aluminum tow mirrors had them. Also they were a option in the 1500 6.5's as mentioned before.

I believe marker lights are required on all dually trucks, but don't quote me on that.

Just like the new trucks, you can customize packages, but i can't say there is a exact pattern. Unless the truck was custom made, i'd think the only truck they for sure came on were the Silverado CK3500's & on all Dually Trucks.

I think for Silverado/Cheyenne CK1500's, Silverado/Cheyenne CK2500's and Cheyene CK3500's they would've been just a option and it would depend on the specific dealer and what was ordered..

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Optional on our trucks, the rule (from http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-1017) is:

All motor vehicles, trailers, or semitrailers exceeding seven feet in width or the widest portion of which extends four inches beyond the front fender extremes shall be equipped with amber lights mounted at the extreme right and left front top corners of such vehicle. Each such light shall be visible in clear weather for a distance of at least 500 feet to the front of such vehicle. Such vehicles shall also be equipped with red lights mounted at the extreme right and left rear top corners of such vehicle. Each such light shall be visible in clear weather for at least 500 feet to the rear of such vehicle. Any tractor truck, however, need not be equipped with rear red dimension or marker lights. If the front or the rear of such vehicle is not the widest portion of the vehicle, the dimension or marker lights required in this section shall be mounted on the widest portions of the vehicle with the amber lights herein required visible from the front as herein required and the red lights herein required visible from the rear as herein required. The lights herein required shall be of a type approved by the Superintendent.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Optional on our trucks, the rule (from http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-1017) is:

All motor vehicles, trailers, or semitrailers exceeding seven feet in width or the widest portion of which extends four inches beyond the front fender extremes shall be equipped with amber lights mounted at the extreme right and left front top corners of such vehicle. Each such light shall be visible in clear weather for a distance of at least 500 feet to the front of such vehicle. Such vehicles shall also be equipped with red lights mounted at the extreme right and left rear top corners of such vehicle. Each such light shall be visible in clear weather for at least 500 feet to the rear of such vehicle. Any tractor truck, however, need not be equipped with rear red dimension or marker lights. If the front or the rear of such vehicle is not the widest portion of the vehicle, the dimension or marker lights required in this section shall be mounted on the widest portions of the vehicle with the amber lights herein required visible from the front as herein required and the red lights herein required visible from the rear as herein required. The lights herein required shall be of a type approved by the Superintendent.

This makes me wonder if "legally" cab lights would be required with tow mirrors if the width of the truck exceeds 7 ft from tow mirror to tow mirror. Not that i think you would ever get pulled over for it.....

Thats probably why all duallys are equipped with cab markers, to be in 50 state compliance.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not mandatory on 3500's. Mandatory on 3500 DUALLY including the narrower chassis cab models, due to width. This is federal motor vehicle law.

And yes, if you don't need them, I say leave them off. Nothing like having 15 extra places in the roof for it to leak. (each light = 3 holes)

Richard

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
I know for sure it's not mandatory in 3500's because my 3500 didn't come with them...