Exact rec's for 96 2dr Tahoe brake upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
guys, been driving my ntm 96 2dr 4x4 Tahoe all summer- love this truck! Brakes "pulse" when on them so this winter I'll go thru them as I'm rebuilding the front end anyway... I need some help in upgrade recommendations- are there somewhat easy swaps for bigger equipment to bolt on, or should I just replace stock parts and maybe later add a hydroboost unit? I've never had a truck before but I recently added bigger spindles, calipers, hub on a 78 Monte Carlo... I haven't seen direct swaps the few times I've tried here...
ANY advice, please.... Thanks much!!!

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Police package brake pads, Raybestos R300 rotors. Complete flush of the brake fluid at the same time. This requires a scan tool bleed procedure to get all of the air out of the system. If you fail to purge the air, you will have brakes that aren't very good.

There are homebrew methods to activate the ABS to get the air out as well, you can jack up the vehicle and securely block the rear axle, spin the rear tires at a low speed in gear, ( 2wd mode ) then nail the brake pedal, this will pulse the abs and allow you to bleed the system. Repeat this process, bleeding after every abs activation.

Pull rear drums to have a look at the shoe material and to see if the wheel cylinders are weeping or axle seal is leaking. Adjust up the shoes so the drums have a slight drag when turning the drum by hand.

You need to have the rear brakes adjusted up before bleeding. Suck out any old fluid from the master cylinder before beginning to flush the system, and refill with clean fluid from a sealed container.

Plan on using a few bottles of fluid to get the brakes bled properly.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
1998 Tahoe ~ POLICE PURSUIT RATED brake pads. Fits both 2 & 4wd applications

RAYBESTOS SGD370M {#RPD370M} Service Grade; Metallic
Front; OE Pad Material is Semi-Metallic; Police Package

RAYBESTOS ATD370M {#BD370M, SSD370} Advanced Technology; Metallic

RAYBESTOS PGD370M Professional Grade; Metallic

RAYBESTOS ATD370C {#PGD370QS} Advanced Technology; Ceramic

RAYBESTOS EHT370H Enhanced Hybrid Technology; Includes Hardware

New, full thickness plate rotors.

http://www.raysbestbrakes.com/Images/uploads/ROTOR_ANNOUNCEMENT_wip1.pdf

R300 looks like a great alternative to the OE style.

RAYBESTOS 580438PER Performance; R-300 Rotor
Front; 4WD

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This sounds great- this scan tool, for bleeding? What's that? The materials for the brakes sound good... Also, I'll be replacing brake lines as well. Thanks!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This sounds great- this scan tool, for bleeding? What's that?

GM Tech 2 or equivalent, something most people don't have just laying around. This is why I recommend that most people just take these trucks into a well equipped shop for brake work.

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good thinking- I'll install these items and then go get the bleeding done... Thanks for the common sense reminder