error code 0430

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dustin83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am being nickeled and dimed. My truck has been perfect, but ever since I got back from Iraq, its been a *****. You guys have seen all my other posts. So tonight I get SES light. 2 weeks ago I got error code P0151 02 signal light low bank 2 sensor one, sensor shorted to ground. Tonight its error 0430, cat efficiency low bank 2. Do you think these could be related? The scanner came up with 3 probable causes, cat failure, engine misfire, vacuum leak, or engine oil leaking into the exhaust valve guide seals, piston rings. Any ideas guys? I am about ready to set the truck on fire. Getting that last SES light repaired cost me 300 dollars. Im pretty sure the engine isn't misfiring or a vaccum leak, as it runs and idles fine. Thanks guys.

dustin83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looked underneath the truck to see if it was glowing red, what else should i look for?

Reaction score
I was just reading the section about this code again and it said to check the cat for and visible damage. Also check for discoloration from excessive heat. See if it rattles from internal damage. After that check that all the o2 sensors are plugged in properly and the plugs aren't damaged or corroded. Then check all of the grounds on the o2 sensor to make sure they are good. It then goes into checking the sensor's for an open loop. Let me do some more reading on this procedure....

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replace the cats, it will cost about 300 bux too, but will be good for another 100K miles or so.

Other signs to look for are the smell of gas/exhaust while the engine is running and sluggish or decline in performance from the engine.

There doesn't have to be physical signs, aka (glowing red cats/cracks, etc.) It could just be really clogged up, which eventually will probly glow a little. Cats are usually good from the factory to about 120K miles or so.

Reaction score
I have just had the EXACT same thing happen to my Hoe.

I had the P0151 (front pass. O2 sensor not active) last week. I had the downpipe leak fixed by replacing the pipe from the cat to the manifold and replaced the bank 2 sensor 1 O2S. And Tuesday I got the P0430 TWC inefficiency code. My passenger side cat is junk. I have access to a graphing scanner, so i could make sure it was the cat.
One thing to check is the amps in the pink wire going to the O2 sensor. That will make sure its not the rear O2 sensor heater that could be causing the code. But I'd put my money on the cat.

Since I just spent $270 for the new o2 sensor and downpipe... I'm not spending another $400 on new stock replacement cats to replace the brand new section I just had fixed... I'm just getting some universal cheapies and cutting out the old cat and replacing it myself. Then it should only be like $60-70... I might as well replace both as long as I'm under there (200k miles idk if they are stock or not) but still $140 is way better than $400.

Last edited: