Engine Probs. What's This Sound Like? (video)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91350burb

Reaction score
1997 K1500 with the 5.7 Vortec. about 165k. After this started I changed the spark plugs to no avail. I have a feeling its something worse such as a bent valve or something. It happend when I floored it from a stop to get ahead of someone while I was fully loaded with two dirtbikes, gear, 10 gallons of gas for the bikes plus a full tank in the truck. Only code I pulled was a P0100 (MAF) and P0300 (random misfire). Cleared the codes and now there is no code granted I haven't tried driving it for fear of doing more damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBaE3di9s8g

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow. That sounds really, really bad to me. If you want the best chance of being able to rebuild that block I would not run it any more. Sorry I can't be of more help than that, I'm no mechanic. Hope you get it figured out and the block is OK. I'm sure someone else here can give you some more useful information.

tunedbytuna

Reaction score
I went thru a similar misfire issue, mine sounded about the same-I thought it was done. After doing a compression test, checking all the plugs, and checking to see if I had a leaky fuel injector I learned that I had a bad distributor cap. Have you changed the cap & rotor recently? These are notorious for having misfires in the cap, poor design and moisture gets into the cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That sounds like a dead hole with reversion through the intake manifold. Or you have multiple loose spark plugs. My money is on an intake valve issue.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the valve events are off. Possibly a stretched timing chain, may have jumped a tooth, or possibly moved the distributor. Bent valves are a possibility, but I would pull the distributor cap and valve covers and check to see if it is still in time on the distributor relative to the crank.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like the valve events are off. Possibly a stretched timing chain, may have jumped a tooth, or possibly moved the distributor. Bent valves are a possibility, but I would pull the distributor cap and valve covers and check to see if it is still in time on the distributor relative to the crank.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Good point on jumping a tooth.