engine oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacob

Reaction score
What does it say on the cap,
5-30?
I'd use that.

Zinc? Zddp? = junk science. Bob is the oil guy? Yeah. As soon as "Bob" oil us in a bottle on the shelf at O'Reilly's, I MAY consider giving it the time of day, but until he's been around longer than Quaker State, it's a joke. Gimmicky waste of money. Scam.
Until you build and design better, longer lasting engines and sell more cars than Louis Chevrolet...
You dudes are hilarious. I heart the internet!

It is a website and a forum. Not a brand of oil. Maybe you should educate yourself.

rcb1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zinc is definitely useful inside engines. Overkill doesn't help though. Use as recommended of course.

I personally just 15w-40 rotella myself in most of my vehicles and tractors. Ultimately however, I think that as long as you keep clean oil in your vehicle, you're on the sunny side. Naturally some of the newer closer tolerance engines don't do well with heavier weights. Similarly, older engines often do not do well with lighter weight oils. Both from the detergent qualities and also impact absorption.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sucks that its only available in 30 wt and 20w50

That should tell you something though about using those viscosities in modern engines, which are toleranced for oils with much lower viscosity indices.

Now, if your modern engine is wearing out, and has developed larger clearances, then ok, higher viscosity oil, during warm weather, may be ok. Remember though, that back in the old days, you had to use thinner oil in cold weather. It was typical to have the owner's manual call for 30 in the summer, and 10W in the winter.

Engines and oils have come a long way over the last 50 years.