engine oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdub

Reaction score
From the Mobil Website

Mobil 1 0W-30

SAE Grade 0W-30
Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 10.9
Viscosity, @ 40ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 62.9

Mobil 1 10W-30
SAE Grade 10W-30
Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 10.1
Viscosity, @ 40ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 63.2

Looks like 0w-30 has a higher viscosity at 100 degrees C. albeit marginal.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Do some research over at bob is the oil guy. Check out the ingredients, and uoa results. Youll quickly learn that most "synthetic" oils are exactly the kool aid oil companies want you to drink. I believe redline and motul ( could be wrong) are the only actual fully synthetic group 5 (not from crude oil) that you can buy now. Years ago they started calling crude oil "fully synthetic" after refining it to certain requirements and going through multiple lawsuits for defrauding the consumer. Mobil one I believe was the first to set this precedence, everyone else followed along. Youre right, science is great.
I don't like Bob the oil guy. lmao. You don't have to take what I say to heart. But no way will I trust Bob the oil guy lol.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
From the Mobil Website

Mobil 1 0W-30

SAE Grade 0W-30
Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 10.9
Viscosity, @ 40ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 62.9

Mobil 1 10W-30
SAE Grade 10W-30
Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 10.1
Viscosity, @ 40ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 63.2

Looks like 0w-30 has a higher viscosity at 100 degrees C. albeit marginal.
I run the 0w-30 in my 99 civic hx and did notice a slight increase in mpg's I can now easily get 41mpg but before I had to try a little. Good stuff. I assume its got less resistance during warm up.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Conventional oil is science too, man.

Especially since most synthetic is conventional based lol. People get so riled up over oil, FWIW, I use Rotella T6 in everything I own. It's oily and slippery and nothing blows up.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Especially since most synthetic is conventional based lol. People get so riled up over oil, FWIW, I use Rotella T6 in everything I own. It's oily and slippery and nothing blows up.
I said that in hopes I would get a funny response. I really couldn't care less what anyone else prefers to run. I do know as far as zddp, synthetics tend to have a higher content, which for my application works well for me. I am at 332k miles on my TBI. Oil threads are always a good time :)

SLmateo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Imo it's not that the old doesn't work and is reliable just more along the lines of why you buy a new tv. The old worked just fine but the new has some improvements even if only slight improvements.... like 1080 and 720p I personally see no difference but if there's the option I'd rather have the 1080p if i was going to only spend 10 bucks more every 3+ months on cable, basically the same cost applied to oil.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
I said that in hopes I would get a funny response. I really couldn't care less what anyone else prefers to run. I do know as far as zddp, synthetics tend to have a higher content, which for my application works well for me. I am at 332k miles on my TBI. Oil threads are always a good time :)

I'm pretty sure Supertech from Walmart would give good result's too. It's oil, it has to meet certain standards, most of it comes from the same place anyway. I don't care how many full throttle engine drained commercials Castrol runs.

Put some oil in your truck, change it sometimes, and it'll be fine.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Exactly, synthetic has been dino oil for years. I use conventional rotella 10w30 diesel oil. Always have. Puts up better numbers than almost all synthetic gas oils.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Exactly, synthetic has been dino oil for years. I use conventional rotella 10w30 diesel oil. Always have.

I just see these thing's, quit often really, and I've never really seen any evidence, that one oil or another makes any realistic difference in engine life nowadays.

I mean, I've heard stories, like "my uncle used Penzoil and it turned into Juicy Fruit gum and ruined his motor". I've never seen a legitimate test showing engine A, engine B, engine C, and engine A failed 75,000 miles before Engine B and C.

Modern oil, is all fine, other than the ZDDP issues. I doubt any makes any difference over any other that matters.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just see these thing's, quit often really, and I've never really seen any evidence, that one oil or another makes any realistic difference in engine life nowadays.

I mean, I've heard stories, like "my uncle used Penzoil and it turned into Juicy Fruit gum and ruined his motor". I've never seen a legitimate test showing engine A, engine B, engine C, and engine A failed 75,000 miles before Engine B and C.

Modern oil, is all fine, other than the ZDDP issues. I doubt any makes any difference over any other that matters.
Im a firm believer a good motor will run on anything. Place I used to work bought all 3/4 ton chevys, 454's and now 6.0 liters. Changed the oil every 5 to 10k miles. Those trucks lasted 3 to 400k miles on an engine, only ever got rid of them because the rese of the truck would fall completely apart. Owner would buy 99 cent oil and the cheapest filter. Not that I would suggest this, just sayin.