Engine Misses above idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Working on a 1997 k1500 5.7, put a distributor cap and button on a 3 weeks ago because of a miss and it has ran fine until yesterday. I had pulled codes on it a couple weeks ago because I bought a new scanner that wouldn't connect to the ECM on my 1997 so I thought this would be a good one to test to see if it was the scanner or my truck. 3 codes then, P1345,P0157,P0140 were on it then and still are. I changed the distributor cap and button again, plugs, wires, and coil/ignition module and it is doing the same thing. I am buying a fuel pressure tester today, but when I pushed the schradar valve in the fuel only went maybe 3 inches high. My question is, since the truck cranks up perfect and starts quick, could this be a fuel pump issue. I just imagined if the pump died it would not start, and if the pump was weak the injectors wouldn't open, once again not starting.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Key on fuel PSI was 54, running at idle was 48, revving up went to around 44 - 46. I think it is the fuel pump. It would hold the key on fuel pressure and not drop.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I put a new Delphi fuel pump assembly in today, still acts the same but I don't have access to a fuel pressure gauge. When I hit the schradar valve on the intake, it seemed very week still. Could this be the spider, if so, how do I check it?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Would more likely be the regulator, but replacing the regulator only is risky since the spider is such a POS.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
How can I diagnose that, what would be the Key On fuel pressure, low? What about engine running fuel pressure? The book said 60 - 66, is that key on not running and running? What about revving up?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
60-66 is measured engine running, vacuum line disconnected. You can achieve the same effect by cracking the throttle wide open engine running.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I didn't disconnect ?vacuum line, not sure which one to disconnect? I did pour water around the intake to check for leaks, nothing changed.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't disconnect ?vacuum line, not sure which one to disconnect? I did pour water around the intake to check for leaks, nothing changed.

I'm a dumbass. No vacuum line, it's all internal. Just watch the gauge pressure rise from an idle to bog throttle crack.