Engine "Lope" when in gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MXR597

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright so calling it a lope probably isn't the right term for it but I can't think of what else to call it.

When I start the truck it runs fine, but once I shift into gear it idles down and basically starts to lope and feels like it wants to die but never does.

It only really does this when it is cold but sometimes it will do it when i'm sitting somewhere in gear on the break for a while, like most recently at the drive thru and if I hammer down and let off real quick while it is cold it will stumble and act like it wants to die but never does.

Now once you give it gas and drive for a minute it stops all doing that and runs great, i'm not really sure what it could any advice?

The TPS is new, spark plugs and wires are new, entire EGR system is new, MAP sensor is new. I also did just put a chip in from TBICHIPS but it didn't start doing this until about 3 weeks after I put the chip in. I'm getting 15mpg up from 11 with the old chip too.

I may just be paranoid but I drive about 100 miles a day currently and i'm worried something may go wrong while i'm out on the highway. What do you guys think?

Jewbacca

Reaction score
I would change the fuel filter. Might be plugged. If that does not help. I would look in to a fuel pump.

MXR597

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would change the fuel filter. Might be plugged. If that does not help. I would look in to a fuel pump.

I just bought a new filter and i'm gonna put it on this weekend. I'm dreading the fuel pump, after 217,000 miles I imagine it might be going soon.

Chevy-Art

LS1 Truck Club Member
Reaction score
I hope you get this fixed, I am having the same problem. The fuel pump is not too bad, I usually remove the bed. Keep us updated.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Change the fuel filter. Doesn't sound like the fuel pump, the symptoms would be more severe, unless I misunderstood your post.

MXR597

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New filter is gonna go on Sunday and we will see. Wondering if the new chip could be messing with the fuel pressure, also seems to want to die when you try to turn the wheel while idling, any ideas if that is related?

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
New filter is gonna go on Sunday and we will see. Wondering if the new chip could be messing with the fuel pressure, also seems to want to die when you try to turn the wheel while idling, any ideas if that is related?
The power steering is putting a load on the engine is what it sounds like. Does it only do it at full lock?

MXR597

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The power steering is putting a load on the engine is what it sounds like. Does it only do it at full lock?

No, it does it if you are parked and just try to move the wheel and once you let go it idles back up. The gearbox has been replaced twice since I've had it

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Mine will drop RPM just a hair if I try turning the wheel while parked. Did the new fuel filter make a difference?

MXR597

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine will drop RPM just a hair if I try turning the wheel while parked. Did the new fuel filter make a difference?

I rained all day yesterday so I couldn't put it on. I'll get it on today or tomorrow depending on when I get home