engine light blinking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

viper700t

Reaction score
i have a 98 z71 and it started acting up lately...when im driving sometimes, the truck starts to jotter an the dash an stuff starts to bounce..its almost like when your rotors are warped and the truck starts bouncing when coming to a stop...however this will do it at speeds up around 80 or 90..however when this happens, my engine light starts blinking...someone told me that it must be my transmission skipping however someone also told me that when the light blinks, that means u have a detonation prob..so my question is, does this sound like a trany prob or could it be a cylinder misfiring?

98 gmc 4x4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It could be a cylinder miss fire, if you have a obd 2 scanner hook it up and see what codes you get, Does the light stay on or does it only flash then go out? If you dont have a obd 2 scanner go to advanced auto they do it for free i think, if its a muliticylinder miss fire you will get code of 300 or 301-308 the code 301 means cylinder miss fire on cylinder one and so on up to number 8. Good luck!

viper700t

Reaction score
the light stays on after it blinks..ill have to take it in an get a garage to check the light because i do not have a scanner