Engine harness interchange '92 to '95

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OlRed

Reaction score
Just bought a '95 5.7 4l60 extra cab. The engine harness has been on fire and I need to replace. I have access to a '92 5.0 (unknown trans)truck for parts. Will my engine harness interchange? If not what year truck will I need to rob? Does it matter what tranny the donor harness used?

Thanks in advance

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Big difference due mostly to the transmission section of the harness; the '95 will have an electronically controlled transmission (4L60E, not 4L60). The '92 will not (assuming it's a light duty automatic, it will be the 4L60/700R4.)

1995 is also a one-year-only truck in so many ways that I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the engine harness from previous years, they sure changed a lot of other stuff just for 1995.

The only drop-in harness for sure will of course be another 1995 model with the same engine, trans, and drive type (2WD or 4WD)

1994 and 1993 are likely to be very similar but the whole 1995 issue brings things into question so you'll have to really look hard at 'em.

Keep in mind there are 2 main harnesses under the hood. The engine harness which comes through on the passenger side of the firewall, and everything else - which has a junction block on the driver's side of the firewall. That's lights, fuel pump power, ABS unit, basically everything except the sensors/injectors/etc. handled by the other harness. IF that's burned up you'll need the harness from a 1995 only for it to be a drop-in; 1995 truck is first year for 4-wheel ABS on a pickup (SUV's had it since 1992 but it's a different system.)

Richard

OlRed

Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of. I'm going to try and find the complete harness from passenger firewall to relay box. I'm fighting low voltages and grounding problems I believe are related to this wiring nightmare.

Thank you for the quick reply

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
7427 computer has a different pinout, no electronic trans in a 92 esc was relocated in 93 from engine bay to the computer. short answer is it doable with just the 92 harness? no.

93 and 94 are in fact interchangeable but the 94 also had the possibility of the better 95 computer. that could get you close but then you have to worry about the trans connector. otherwise rich is right on the money.

OlRed

Reaction score
I have located a harness although not what i hoped for. Will a '95 suburban 5.7 4l60 engine harness interchange with my c1500?
The suburban is also 4x4 but I just would no be utilizing one wire in the ecm right?

Last edited: