engine build questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Slap a 4.3L Converter in there while the engine is out, its equivalent to a 2200-2400 Stall, Somewheres in there.

i would just buy a good running 350, re-gasket it, throw a cam, valve springs, and a new timing chain in, run your factory injection with a tune and you should have a nice little engine.

garagemethods

Reaction score
Slap a 4.3L Converter in there while the engine is out, its equivalent to a 2200-2400 Stall, Somewheres in there.

i would just buy a good running 350, re-gasket it, throw a cam, valve springs, and a new timing chain in, run your factory injection with a tune and you should have a nice little engine.

that's pretty much what i was planning, something low key like that. but why the converter? and the timing chain? and i was kinda thinking new vortec heads, just to be on a safe side.

although i just found this!:
http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/2041085419.html
that would be pretty fun. just what all would be needed to get it in operating order? does it appear to have the crankshaft?

i'm pretty new to the whole engine thing if you haven't noticed

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
ALWAYS replace the timing chain, they get stretched and a new one is only $20-$40

Its hard to explain WHY the converter, but i did it, makes a BIG difference, plus would let you run a bigger cam if you wanted.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
although i just found this!:
http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/2041085419.html
that would be pretty fun. just what all would be needed to get it in operating order? does it appear to have the crankshaft?

it is hard to say, the ad says he will throw in a stock cam which makes me think it is out but the motor has the timing cover on which makes me think it is in. if you are interested in that motor call him and see. it would definitely be a cool motor and a good start for a build.

garagemethods

Reaction score
ALWAYS replace the timing chain, they get stretched and a new one is only $20-$40

Its hard to explain WHY the converter, but i did it, makes a BIG difference, plus would let you run a bigger cam if you wanted.

i knew a bigger converter would allow a bigger cam, but yea i suppose if i have it all out i might as well replace it then. it would be a pita to go and replace it later on down the road

garagemethods

Reaction score
it is hard to say, the ad says he will throw in a stock cam which makes me think it is out but the motor has the timing cover on which makes me think it is in. if you are interested in that motor call him and see. it would definitely be a cool motor and a good start for a build.

it would be a sweet start. and i found a set of vortec heads with only 150 miles on em for 200 bucks.

garagemethods

Reaction score
okay after a little thought about that 383 i found and building it up strong. i came to the vortec's horrible induction limitations and was thinking about a tbi swap? what would be needed for this? percs to it? drawbacks to it?

i was thinking that since the stock vortec induction won't support anything over 330 hp realistically and there's no larger injectors that a tbi conversion would change that bottleneck with the ability to go larger. i've also thought about the marine conversion. so what would be better? the marine or tbi conversion?

i'm sure you guys can tell that there's plenty of different things goin on in my head on this topic so please bear with me. sorry about it all. and thanks for all the help so far

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It doesn't appear to have the crank with it.

If you wanted to go this route I would use a different intake that allows the use of individual injectors.