Electric Blend door stuck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Hey all!

Truck is an '89 with electric controls.. Before the temps dipped into single digits I had perfect heat. However, I go to drive the truck this morning and while it's at temperature, the only thing coming from the vents is frosty air. I tried running the heat to cold, then to hot again several times and this did nothing. I could hear electronics trying to do their thing but nothing. I hear electronics whirr when the key is flipped off, and on just before I crank it over. Do these things do that to default to cold? If so, that's a dumb failsafe. First year running a GM truck in the winter and the two worst things about it are the windshield washer nozzles which always get clogged & won't even clear thin ice from the nozzles and now this dumb electric blend door.

Is this something I can fix easily? Or is this not the problem? I had to swap the position servo motor back when we got it but I don't think the blend door is easy to get to, it's behind the radio IIRC but I can't remember if the screws are accessible without removing the whole HVAC thing.