EGR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
EGR block off being done, 98K1500 L31R crate engine.

Question is the hole in the bottom of intake in the center, can it be blocked off? What to use?
Do they make freeze plugs that big? Plumbing, or just leave alone?

Thanks

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a kit that comes with a bolt to plug where the EGR tube connects to the lower intake, and also included is a block off plate to seal where the EGR solenoid attaches. I'll see if I can find it for you. :)

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's not just the CEL that's an issue, there's a possibility that removing the EGR without tuning it out of the PCM could cause pinging at part throttle.

I'd strongly recommend that anyone removing EGR on a 96+ truck contact Black Bear Performance or another competent mail order tuner and have the PCM tuned accordingly. There's lots of other benefits to the tune, as well.

Jack Schneider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's not just the CEL that's an issue, there's a possibility that removing the EGR without tuning it out of the PCM could cause pinging at part throttle.

I'd strongly recommend that anyone removing EGR on a 96+ truck contact Black Bear Performance or another competent mail order tuner and have the PCM tuned accordingly. There's lots of other benefits to the tune, as well.
Oh! What about pre 96?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh! What about pre 96?

Same thing, I just have no idea who to recommend for tuning on a TBI truck as I've never owned one. If you're removing EGR, you should have it tuned out of the PCM.

Reaction score
Hmm, well let me ask this df2x4, I blocked stock exhaust manifold with simple brass nat. gas cap on the double male steel fitting. Then plugged
intake port towards egr leaving egr in place which at some point will get heat as location close to thermostat. Lean condition by computer at idle will change as temps increase or throttle sensor is engaged?

My thought right or wrong, new to computer age and will buy scanner, analyzer or whatever it is, wife says that they have one at work, so that
new parameters can be set as needed?

Overclocked, thanks for the link, and also in my lower intake, in the divided bottom there is a two and one eighth hole that I would like to cover to eliminate some of the heat in the intake. I thought again a simple mod, easily achieved but at what cost. The heat risers in the middle, at least that is what they used to be called, I always blocked off out of habit. Seems to me that even though fuel is injected at the cylinder head the spider still has to be extra hot in that location?

Lower intake temps have to be good, yes?

Thanks for the extra information while I browse the archives.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm, well let me ask this df2x4, I blocked stock exhaust manifold with simple brass nat. gas cap on the double male steel fitting. Then plugged
intake port towards egr leaving egr in place which at some point will get heat as location close to thermostat. Lean condition by computer at idle will change as temps increase or throttle sensor is engaged?

My thought right or wrong, new to computer age and will buy scanner, analyzer or whatever it is, wife says that they have one at work, so that
new parameters can be set as needed?

Not sure I see exactly what you're getting at... If you're asking if the computer will compensate for the lack of a connected EGR without a custom tune, the answer is not very well.

You said your wife works for ACDelco, right? I doubt very seriously that the GM scan tools will be able to edit/add custom parameters to the tune, such as disabling EGR. Usually the only thing they can do with the dealer tools is flash 100% unaltered factory tunes to the computer. You're going to need to find someone with EFILive or an equivalent tuning software who can customize the program. You either send your trucks PCM off to be tuned and returned to you, or you can opt to buy a spare for $50 or so in addition to the cost of the tune and keep your factory one as a backup.

If you're going to leave the EGR disabled, you should really get in touch with a tuner to disable it in the computer. Otherwise you're going to have a constant check engine light and the possibility of pinging/spark knock at part throttle. Here's a link to Black Bear Performance's website, best $350 you'll ever spend on the truck and free alterations to the tune for as long as you own it. That price includes a spare PCM so you have zero downtime. These guys tuned my red truck and have been absolutely awesome to deal with over the years as I've changed things up.

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/

Reaction score
Thanks for the linkup df2x4. Will look at and see, was looking for a programmer that I can also own.

The Wife has left there and works for Heavy Truck Repair now but still has account, contacts.