Egr valve makes truck run horrible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So after thinking my fuel system was messed up i come to realize my egr valve is whats causing my truck to act dumb. I cleaned it out but nothing, so my dad removed the vacuum hose from it and put a tab in it and now the truck runs a million times better. Why would this be? Should i just leave it like that or buy a new egr or is it a sensor thats out?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Year? Engine? Are there fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror?

Dunno why nobody ever gives the useful info. :gr_grin:

I'll assume TBI era and probably a 5.7 since you said vacuum hose, not a linear valve.

The valve is most likely bad. Spring inside is probably broken, letting it open too easily. The solenoid could be bad as well, allowing vacuum through when it should not.

Richard

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1990 gmc c1500 4.3L
I might used the wrong term on whatever hose i clogged but its the one coming off the top of the egr. The valve opens and shuts like normal (i think) but i noticed the truck starts to die out when the valve is about to close completely. Any ways to test this or is it just a purchase and change type of deal?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
If you have vacuum at the valve at idle, then the solenoid is stuck open. Vacuum to the EGR valve should only be there when the PCM commands it, such as decal and med acceleration. You need to check the solenoid power and ground. Should have constant power and ground when commanded by the PCM. If it has constant ground, then the line is shorted. Either the wire is grounded [pinched, rubbed through] or the PCM is bad.

First try unplugging the solenoid and see if vacuum continues

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just deleted my egr so it wouldnt cause me problems again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
^^block that worthless crap off and be done with it. All it does is plug up ports with carbon, I passes emissions with it not functioning no problem.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Buy a new valve, nothing wrong with having it when it functions correct, and no it doesn't plug anything up.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just eliminated mine cause im a cheap ass and figured it would be one less system to maintain. I just used the egr gasket as a template, traced it onto some thick aluminum i had and cut a block off plate out. Then drill your holes and bolt it on. And if I remember correctly, the only other thing i did was capped the vacuum line on the solenoid and left the electrical connector hooked up.