EGR solenoid question.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hefftone

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I noticed the vac line from the solenoid to the EGR valve was broken. So i replaced it, then after i looked again, I noticed there are to hose barbs on the EGR side (rear facing)....but there is only one hose.....How do I know its on the right barb? Why is there two? Am I missing something?

I know the forward facing one gets vacuum from the TBI, (front facing)

Front....................................................REAR

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
not sure why there are two.... but IIRC one is larger than the other and that is the one to hook the vac up

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The second port is a vent so when the solenoid closes (as in turns off EGR valve) it allows air to enter the line to release the vacuum on the EGR valve. The hose from solenoid to EGR valve goes on the top one.

Originally from the factory our EGR solenoids had that little foam filter on the bottom port to keep dirt out of the EGR lines which could cause the solenoid to stick open

hefftone

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok, that makes sense.....the photo is taken with the solenoid upside down, becase the harness plug is on the top.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok whoops my bad the filter is supposed to be on the top port, hose goes on the bottom one.