EFI or Carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMiller

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
May I ask how long ago was that? FWIU Brian Harris retired, due to health issues, a couple years ago. Anyway, a mail order tune is not the way to go. You need to data log, tune, rinse and repeat until you get your VE tables right. Then go for performance!
I do remember him saying something about that. I think he had it on his website too.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
These 3 items will get your Edelbrock carb set up.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I can make a carb sing and dance but I can't tune one 200 times per second.

That's where EFI wins every time.

I recommend EFI more and more often. The price of carbs is through the roof and there are 3 other guys on the planet besides me that are willing to take the time to tune a carb. I'm taking the carb off Frank just as soon as I can. Frank starts quicker than any vehicle I have ever had. The carb is completely wrong for the application but I have it tuned well enough for now. A thermac air cleaner is a huge advantage with a carb or EFI without a MAP sensor.

When you are happy with how it runs close the hood and go get ice cream!

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can make a carb sing and dance but I can't tune one 200 times per second.

That's where EFI wins every time.

I recommend EFI more and more often. The price of carbs is through the roof and there are 3 other guys on the planet besides me that are willing to take the time to tune a carb. I'm taking the carb off Frank just as soon as I can. Frank starts quicker than any vehicle I have ever had. The carb is completely wrong for the application but I have it tuned well enough for now. A thermac air cleaner is a huge advantage with a carb or EFI without a MAP sensor.

When you are happy with how it runs close the hood and go get ice cream!

I am curious - what do you think that you will gain by switching to efi? Please explain in detail, if you would.

I like fuel injection, but often wonder if our (used the way that I use mine) trucks are too low tech to even really benefit from efi vs a well tuned carb.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EFI can be tuned much better and efficiently. But we’re talking 0411 or standalone ECU stuff. And it costs a LOT more to get the good setup.

I would love to get a nice kit for my 350 Vortec. But who can justify spending almost $2k on a kit when again, a full LS with more power can be had for less $$ with the same amount of adjustability??

To each their own. There’s no right or wrong answer. Carb is better for quick, easy, and cheap. EFI is better if you’re wanting benefits of OBD-II and more deep level tuning.

There’s a reason why people put LS’s into everything under the Sun, including German and Japanese cars. You literally can’t get more power for your $$. Much less direct swap in and wiring kits for so many vehicles and transmissions.

But the benefit that we all have is that the LS is a GM engine. So nothing to worry about as far as purists go.

I feel pretty positive that rather you’re an LS swap kinda guy or not, that most of us would love the chance to buy our exact trucks that we already have even more if someone had already completed an LS swap and done it right.

Just my 2 cents.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
EFI can be tuned much better and efficiently. But we’re talking 0411 or standalone ECU stuff. And it costs a LOT more to get the good setup.

I would love to get a nice kit for my 350 Vortec. But who can justify spending almost $2k on a kit when again, a full LS with more power can be had for less $$ with the same amount of adjustability??

To each their own. There’s no right or wrong answer. Carb is better for quick, easy, and cheap. EFI is better if you’re wanting benefits of OBD-II and more deep level tuning.

There’s a reason why people put LS’s into everything under the Sun, including German and Japanese cars. You literally can’t get more power for your $$. Much less direct swap in and wiring kits for so many vehicles and transmissions.

But the benefit that we all have is that the LS is a GM engine. So nothing to worry about as far as purists go.

I feel pretty positive that rather you’re an LS swap kinda guy or not, that most of us would love the chance to buy our exact trucks that we already have even more if someone had already completed an LS swap and done it right.

Just my 2 cents.
LS is not my cup of tea. All noise and no real grunt. Changes a bit with forced induction.