EDG valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
AS you guy who know me, know. I have shorty headers on my 97 5.7L. I have fought exhaust leaks for a long time. The flange on the headers are nice and thick. I have modified the connections where the exhaust pipe mates up with the header, and installed steel donut gaskets. I have this weird leak that only happens sometimes, and I think it is coming from the EGR connection at the header. I want to test this by removing the feed tube that supply's the EGR valve from the header, and plugging the hole temp. Should I plug up the hole in the intake after removing the supply tube, or should I just let it suck air into the intake, and how will this affect the performance of the truck ? ECM code ECT ? Or can the truck run like this with no issues ? I am not going to just remove the EGR and tune the truck. The truck has been flash tuned with a JET programmer already.

Last edited:

sbduncan

Reaction score
I think you should plug it up, sounds like it would be a huge vacuum leak. I'm thinking it would run rich because of the unmetered air.

Breakdown

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kenny,
Should be able to find a NPT plug that will fit almost perfectly. I dont remember where I read what the thread pitch/size was but I remember looking and seeing brass plugs at the home despot that fit. Or do it redneck, just shove a rag down it.. trust me, it wont get hot enough to burn, I stayed at a holiday inn express last night, I know what Im talking about hahaha.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As I recall, if you unscrew the egr pipe at the intake you can shove a dime in there and tighten the pipe back up.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks skylark. I think the leak is at the header, so I could just blank off the intake, then remove and plug the header side, that is where I think the leak is, but IDK.