dual battery help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i have a dual battery tray and a good extra bettery laying around. i keep adding accesories and while some arent on all th etime i do see a slight drop in my voltage. now my truck is always used as the let the stereo play or sit and watch movies in it. i guess i sorta set myself up for that one. so im looking for a way to run the battery and how to set it up. im reading that if you have two different batterys itd be best to have an isolater. i also read something about hazard vehicles when they are left off with their flashing lights on the secondary battery switches to draw power instead of the main battery. Next is would i want to attach it to my alternator and upgrade that as well or should i just leave it seperate from the charging system?

i just want it as a backup i do leave accesores on at bonfires and gatherings and such, well other people select my truck as the transportable media device. i just dont want to be left with a dead battery after something like that and im not great at electrical so if someone can give me parts, part numbers links, drawings etc to help me understand this and set up my secondary battery without hurting any of my stock electrical thatd be great.

qukon 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get a stinger 200 seloniod to put between the batts find the wire only has 12v when truck is running to trigger the seloniod this seloniod has very,very low current loss going through it.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
got a link and so run a cable negetive side to a ground and both positives together with the soilenoid between them and the soilenoid also wired to the run on the ignition? should it also be wired to accesory? and what does the soilenoid do? and how does the battery charge?

Reaction score
I would suggest running a switch inside the cab. When the switch is on power will be sent to activate the solenoid. The idea behind the solenoid is to connect the two batteries together when the truck is running. Turn the switch on and the the second battery will be connected allowing you to start your truck.

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
If you hook the solenoid to a ignition source it will activate tge solenoid allowing the alt to xharge the battery when the truck is off you can run accessories off the number two battery so you dont drain your starting battery.

Adam

Reaction score
If you hook the solenoid to a ignition source it will activate tge solenoid allowing the alt to xharge the battery when the truck is off you can run accessories off the number two battery so you dont drain your starting battery.

Adam

The only problem with what your saying is that he wants to use his truck stereo. If he did what you were saying he would need to connect the radio and other accessories onto the second battery.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
if you hookup the second battery to the main fuse box connection and put the isolator between the main battery and the jumper wire that you add to run to the second battery. just that simple. the main stock battery will still power the starter and with the car not in the RUN position it will not be connected thru the isolator. this way your starter has full power from one battery to spin the motor over fast enough to still start the vehicle! and the other battery just runs the electronics.
and thats just IF your worried about having a dead battery! another way for parties is simply lazy connections... AKA quick disconnect ring terminals ;) simply unhook one battery at parties.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i can tap into my distribution block where it allows power at both the run position and accesory. so do i attach the batteries together aas well as the alternator? and should i upgrade alts?

anyone have a diagram of how it should be wired up roughly?