Door latch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454ssdude

Reaction score
New member here and would love your thoughts. I’m building a 1990 454ss and about to start working on the doors. Full off frame restore. I still have my OEM latches but they’re in very rough shape. Probably too far gone to restore. If I were to replace these latches, who makes the highest quality replacements?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
New member here and would love your thoughts. I’m building a 1990 454ss and about to start working on the doors. Full off frame restore. I still have my OEM latches but they’re in very rough shape. Probably too far gone to restore. If I were to replace these latches, who makes the highest quality replacements?
I'd have to say GM.. I can't imagine there's an aftermarket replacement that is any better. The GM latches would just about literally last forever if people would keep up with the hinge bushings and pins. It's when those go bad and the door starts sagging, that the latch starts taking abuse.

Richard

454ssdude

Reaction score
I'd have to say GM.. I can't imagine there's an aftermarket replacement that is any better. The GM latches would just about literally last forever if people would keep up with the hinge bushings and pins. It's when those go bad and the door starts sagging, that the latch starts taking abuse.

Richard
Any idea where I could find some GM replacements?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Any idea where I could find some GM replacements?
Shop around - they're actually pretty plentiful, for now, anyway. You can even get 'em from Rockauto. I'll just caution you to look right past the super cheap "other brand" latches you'll see in that same list.

I'm sure you're already looking into the bushings and pins as well, and that's another area loaded with also-rans. Ignore the Dorman offerings completely.

Richard