Door jamb switch installation question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Ok so I broke my passenger side door jamb switch (95+ interior) when i installed some new speakers many moons ago, and i finally got around to buying a new one
only to discover I have no idea how to install it. It looks as if I have to remove a large chunk of the dash? Hoping its simpler than I think.

Who's done this before or knows what to do? Its driving me nuts because my truck thinks my door is perpetually open so I have to use the dome override switch
which means I never have courtesy lights :whymewhyme:

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Removal of the door jamb switch is actually pretty easy! If you look at the new replacement switch, you'll notice the 2 spade like pieces of metal/plastic that protrude past the round part of the switch to hold it in place. So to remove it, simply reach you hand under the dash and feel for the switch, then press down on the 2 pieces towards the switch then while doing that push outwards and it should pop right out. Then you just need to unplug the wiring connector, and plug it in to the new switch, then push the new switch into the hole and you've got it! Hope that helps Kevin!

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Removal of the door jamb switch is actually pretty easy! If you look at the new replacement switch, you'll notice the 2 spade like pieces of metal/plastic that protrude past the round part of the switch to hold it in place. So to remove it, simply reach you hand under the dash and feel for the switch, then press down on the 2 pieces towards the switch then while doing that push outwards and it should pop right out. Then you just need to unplug the wiring connector, and plug it in to the new switch, then push the new switch into the hole and you've got it! Hope that helps Kevin!

Thanks Baron, you sure make it sound simple enough! I didnt see any way I could get my hand up there, but I only fooled around with it for a minute or 2 haha I'll try again tonight.

Old one:
Take some pliers and squeeze/break it to pieces.
I pulled my glovebox to help see.

It basically was demolished to pieces since I smashed it when I closed the door, but how do I take out the glovebox? Do I just detach the 2 "hinges" at the bottom or are there more connection points?

Last edited:

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Alright I got the glove box off and replaced the broken door jamb switch. :)

So once again all is well in the world right? Wrong!

NEW SITUATION:
so now that the door jamb switch works, I can release the dome override switch and use my courtesy lights again, HOWEVER; I thought that they turn OFF when the door is shut?
So you open the door; lights come on......close the door; lights turn off. Is this incorrect?

As of right now it takes about 30 seconds for the lights to turn off and for some reason I cant alarm/lock my truck until the lights are off (aftermarket alarm installed by a shop).

Do I not have a switch turned on? Did my wiring get fudged a little when my alarm was installed? Is this normal and I have to suck it up? :think:

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 97 does the same thing. Shut the doors and it take a little bit for the lights to shut off.

With my keyless (factory) you lock the doors and the lights shut off within 2 seconds.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
My 97 does the same thing. Shut the doors and it take a little bit for the lights to shut off.

With my keyless (factory) you lock the doors and the lights shut off within 2 seconds.

Ya that's how I thought it was with my factory alarm, I knew I wasnt crazy haha. So I guess that sort of narrows the problem down to the wiring work that was done with this new alarm. Although I wouldn't really know where to to start in order to fix this...suggestions are very much welcome!