Does ECM need to "learn" after replacing faulty EGR valve?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OlSmokie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just replaced a faulty EGR valve on my 1990 C1500 5.0 that was causing my check engine light to come on.
I was told that I had to disconnect my battery for several minutes, which I did, to reset my ECM.
Does it just instantly recalibrate itself, or is there a procedure for allowing it to learn?

Last edited:

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
Disconnecting the battery clears the code. There shouldn't be any relearn period. I may be wrong as I'm fairly new to to the GMT 400.

Ken

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may have to "relearn" your INT/BLM (on a TBI, Vortec is Short Term/Long Term) trims while cruising in Closed Loop since the EGR valve was effecting AFR but, it should be able to do that during a fairly short trip.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It may have to "relearn" your INT/BLM (on a TBI, Vortec is Short Term/Long Term) trims while cruising in Closed Loop since the EGR valve was effecting AFR but, it should be able to do that during a fairly short trip.

That and any idle airflow/IAC stuff if the TBI computers did that, but you'd know better than me there. EGR should just work if there are no codes present.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
idle airflow/IAC stuff if the TBI computers did that
IFAIK it shouldn't since, when you turn off the key the IAC goes to its "Park Position", almost wide open. Then when you turn the key on it goes to the "Power up Initial Steps" based on CTS feedback.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
IFAIK it shouldn't since, when you turn off the key the IAC goes to its "Park Position", almost wide open. Then when you turn the key on it goes to the "Power up Initial Steps" based on CTS feedback.

So it doesn't apply a learned value on top of that power up initial steps? The Vortec PCM does, but it's understandable if the older one doesn't.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it doesn't apply a learned value on top of that power up initial steps?
I don't think so unless it's buried in the code somewhere. I don't see any Scalars or Tables that are modified by the ECM, they're all static settings, AFAIK.